Chapter 18: Two in a row Pt. 1

That week we had a very important game to look up to. All of us had worked our asses off to get even better (if possible, according to myself) to be prepared for what was about to come. After last year, we really wanted another championship in our pockets, so it was pretty much all that was on our minds. That and the fact Nick had gone crazy the last two days and wasn't dealing too well with frustration that day.

"Come on ladies. Leave the tears for later. We have better things to do" Nick barked at us as we lined up to shoot at the goal. I could see Jazz was exhausted from protecting the goal but she handled it pretty well, at least better than the rest of us. Only she could take so many shots in one day. "Darlena, really? That was lame. Do it again" Nick ordered and the girl had no choice but to do what she was told before the coach decides to make her run the entire practice like he had already done with others.

"Is it me or Nick totally lost it today?" I whispered to Valerie who was behind me in the line, doing my best for the angry coach not to see us.

"I have no idea but he's on fire" Valerie replied twisting her lips to one side while she talked, so she wouldn't have to turn her head around to speak to me.

"I hear voices ladies!" Nick suddenly raised his voice to no one and both of us stiffed in that second.

"He almost sounds like Mike" I commented with a very sassy eye roll before Nick had the chance to see me.

Practice was over an hour after that... for most people at least. Our beloved coach had decided that, due to my attitude during practice (still don't know what of all got me in trouble) I needed some extra time to practice my shoot. Honestly? I couldn't move not even my fingers anymore, but truth was I didn't dare to leave.

"Come on Jess. Nick won't let you leave until you practice penalty shots" Jazz said looking as exhausted as I was. Or maybe even more.

"Fineee" I replied and reluctantly took the ball and aimed a couple shots. I missed a few, but in the end I got a rhythm going. Or maybe Jazz had reached a level of exhaustion. Just when I thought I'd never leave, I pulled together all my strength and aimed the ball right to the goal and somehow ended up in the middle of my friend's face... unintentionally obviously. Jazz pressed her hands on her face and fell on her knees while I rushed to her.

"Fuck. Are you ok? I'm so sorry" I said as if my apology would ease some of her pain. That obviously wasn't the case.

"Holy fuck, it huuurts" she said not letting go of her nose in case it'd bleed.

"Come on. We'll take this as our ticket out of here" I said while holding her by her arm and escorting her out of the fields. Lucky for her, I didn't bust her nose or anything.

That night all I could think of was my head on a pillow, and Jazz living closer to the fields, she invited me to spend the night there. I made sure to text Paul though, just in case. I didn't know if I could get in trouble because of that, but I thought it'd be best not to find out. Finally once we got to Jazz's home, we brushed our teeth and headed to bead. I never in my life had felt that exhausted.

I really wasn't in the mood for Maths, but I knew better than to be late especially after last time we discussed tardiness with Paul... while he beated up my ass. It was a short but effective conversation. I did my best to keep my eyes open the entire class, and luckily succeeded. I did a mental note to ask the rest what was the class all about, because the last thing I could do was focus on maths early in the morning. I grabbed my things as fast as I could and made my way to the door until the teacher's voice stopped my getaway.

"Anston. Mr. Davis asked me to inform you that you have lunch detention" Mr. Tuckerman's voice reached my ears when I tried to escape quickly to get first to the cafeteria.