Chapter 15: A Thanksgiving tale

It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shinning in the sky, the birds were singing... and I was fucking awake at 9 a.m. Seriously, where had all my plans of sleeping until noon plans gone? Oh yeah, right out the window because of my beloved teacher Paul. You see, today is Thanksgiving. I don't usually mind that much, because I have no family to spend holidays with. My parents barely care enough to show up for Christmas and New year. This year Paul came up with the amazing idea (note the irony) of me spending Thanksgiving with him and his family. At first I thought it'd be weird, but the truth is I had always been a little bit curious about Paul's family. He barely ever talks about them, and him being the mysterious guy he is had poked my curiosity as from where did all that strange personality came from? I was about to find out.

"Good morning Jessie" Paul said when I hopped into his car. "Looking good" he added and I could see his big smirk... even when I had my eyes practically shut.

"Seriously, why do we have to be there this early? Dinner's at 4" I whined instantly resting my elbow on the window, making it a perfect pillow for my face.

"It's a two hours drive Jess, and I want to have time just in case" he answered and quickly gave me a slight shove to wake me up. I lifted up my head to see what in the world he wanted and I saw his eyes staring pointedly at my lonely seatbelt. Overprotective.

After that, and against all my hopes, I didn't get much time to sleep all the way there. Paul kept talking to me and before I knew it I was making conversation with him as well. I truly do like those talks, just not so early in the morning. Guess I was left with no choice on that.

We finally arrived to a small town right in the outsides of the city. A whole lot of simple yet beautiful houses appeared through the window, green parks with very colorful parks... a very residential town.

"I don't think I've ever visited this place" I said paying particular attention to all of the details as Paul was probably smiling fondly at me.

"Have you ever left your town Jessica" he said but interrupted me before I could answer "That it's not in a plane" he added for good measure to make his point.

"Well... once a chopper picked me up" I said trying to ignore his joke but internally first pumping the air. I always found a way out of Paul's questions with my bright smart answers.

"Smartass" he mumbled for himself but still got to my ears. I rolled my eyes and continued to watch the view, trying to guess which house was his.

Finally the car stopped in front of a beautiful house, like the ones you see in the movies. The grass was perfectly cut, so were the bushes that decorated the entrance. It had two windows on the first floor, and with the door beneath them it seemed like a smiley face. Paul started walking towards the entrance but I was still charmed with how simple beauty could be. It may have not be like my mansion, but every single detail was taken care of. I'd say this is where Paul's O.C.D comes from.

We rang the bell and not even two seconds a huge smile with red hair opened the door and instantly embraced Paul with her arms. This must be Paul's mother.

"Oh sweety it's been so long!" she exclaimed without dropping the smile, which was like a talent show to me. Paul fought hard not to choke in the hug and finally got her arms off him.

"It's good to see you mom, but there's someone I want you to know" Paul said and instantly the giant smile attacked me.

"Of course! This is Jessie. It's so nice to meet you honey" she said as I choked with my words. Jesus she was friendly.

"You too. It's a lovely home Mrs. Davis" I smiled gently at the surprisingly young woman in front of me as I tried to catch my breath.

"Please call me Maura. I'm sure Paul will give you a tour. Honey why don't you show her where the bathroom is? You two for sure want to freshen up a bit" she said as her smile still never worn off during the entire long sentence. Unlike Paul, she was a squeaky woman of many words. Two things Paul wasn't for sure, so probably he'd be more like his dad.