Holidays special: Fathers day

Oh what a great joy this day in particular gave me... not. Seriously it was like everybody was trying to remind me that I have no parents, and as self centered as it sounded, it was even worse than being an orphan. Because it wasn't fate who took my parents, it was work and their own carelessness. Jason had tried to put me in a better mood last night but with no avail. Nothing could make me feel better knowing this repulsive day approached.

I rose that blessed morning with a permanent frown on my face and decided to face this day with a little grace. You know who for sure would notice something was bothering me and wouldn't stop nagging me about it until I confess, and happened to be I so didn't want to talk about my feelings that day. I rathered to just shove them back into my soul where they came from and they better stay there, though rarely they do.

School was being a pain in the ass as usual, so I decided to excuse myself from Spanish to go to the infirmary, since 'I wasn't feeling so well' that day. The old bitch threw me a suspicious look as always and told me to get back to class as soon as I felt better. If I feel better at all, I thought for myself. As I walked the empty hallways I made plans in my head to stay with Serena, the nurse and Paul's girlfriend the entire morning. She'd cover up for me, she loved to do so as long as it wasn't something too bad and we could hang out for a while. She was definitely cooler than her boyfriend.

"Hey Jess, feeling poor?" Serena greeted me when I reached the infirmary. So yes I had taken as long as I could to reach destination, obviously. I just needed this day to pass by quietly.

"Indeed. Sentimentally" I said and walked into the room and heard the door being shut behind me. Serena dedicated me a comprehensive look as I took a seat in the litter, letting out my frustrations with a deep sigh.

"I know this day bothers you Jessie. You're not the only one, I assure you" she confessed to me with a bitter tone she could not avoid and it poked my curiosity instantly. As far as I knew Serena's family was normal. They had met Paul a few months ago and she told me everything about it. No surprises, everyone fell in love with him instantly. Who doesn't?

"What's your deal?" I rose an eyebrow to her to push her into confession. I saw her bitting her lower lip as if trying to keep the words to herself, but I knew she wouldn't be able to. She had too much of a loose tongue and I was good at listening.

"It's just that... you know how me and Paul have been together for some time. Right?" she started feeling very insecure of herself, so I knew this conversation wouldn't be approved by her boyfriend.

"Yeah... a year or so. Why?" I said trying to follow the tangled path Serena had drawn for me.

"Well you know him way better than I do. What do you think he feels about... children?" she completed that sentence avoiding my look at all times and I was left alone with my thoughts.

It took me a couple minutes to search through my head, but I quickly realized the subject had naturally never came up in our conversation. I had always thought of Paul as a man of family though, but he was so reserved that who knew what was going through his mind. A quick thought flashed my mind and I opened my eyes like saucers to Serena.

"Are you...?" I said pointing at her belly as my jaw dropped.

"Christ sake no. But you know, having a family is really important to me and I'd like to know how he feels about having children at some point" she explained to me and I found some sense in her words. She probably didn't want to have kids right away (or maybe yes) but she was probably wondering the same as me. I bet she wasn't the only one who wanted to have his babies.

"Well why don't you ask him?" I said innocently and she rolled her eyes at my proposition.

"Because he'll think I'm pregnant or that I want kids right away. You know how men are" she grumbled as she rose her eyes to the roof. Paul was certainly not like any men I met, but it was possible a direct approach like that would freak him out.