Chapter 12

Camila woke up a few hours later from her amazing nap because her mom was screaming that dinner was gonna be ready in 30 minutes.

Camila got up and picked out a pair of onesie since it was winter and she needed to take advantage of that. She went to take a shower, and she got out just in time for dinner.

"Hey mom! Hey dad!" Camila said, happily; ruffling Sofi's hair, making her laugh loudly.

"Karla, sit down and eat your food. Stop fooling around," Alejandro said, sternly.

Camila rolled her eyes and sat down.

"Don't give us that attitude, young lady. You haven't eaten dinner with us in a long time, we should be giving you attitude," Sinu said, glaring at Camila.

Camila couldn't say anything because Sinu was right. She's been at the Jauregui's house a lot. The last time she ate with her family was Thanksgiving, which also took place at Lauren's house.

They ate in silence, all was heard was the tapping of forks on their plates and the lettuce crunching every time they poked it.

"So how was your day?" Camila said, trying to start a conversation. At the Jauregui's place, they would have loud and fun dinners, and afterwards, they would watch a movie together.

"Karla, why do you think you run this house? We talk if we want. Stop ruining it," Alejandro stood up and hovered over her, his hand inches away from her face. Camila closed her eyes, ready for the blow in her face, but instead he spit in her face and sat back down.

Camila clenched her fork tightly. She hated the way they ran the house; no talking at dinner, finish all of this weeks homework, don't eat junk food. She hated the way they treated her; they controlled her life, not her. Honestly to Camila, they weren't even her parents anymore, they were just some rude and self-centered people who she lives with that owns a company. She could stand her mom, but her dad's anger issues have been less tamed, and if she was being honest, it scared her.

Camila abruptly got up, as she felt tears coming to her eyes, "I'm going to my room, and Dinah's staying over, she's coming over at 7, don't fuck anything up."

With that, she ran upstairs, wiping a tear that fell and picked up her phone, she heard her parents yelling at her to watch her mouth and to not talk to them like that. But she could care less, instead she started dialing the phone number she just so happens to remember clearly.

"Hello?" Camila said, as the phone stopped ringing. All she heard was laughter that turned into footsteps on wooden stairs, and finally, a bed squeak.

"Hey Camila. Sorry about that, we were watching a movie."

Camila already felt safe with that voice. "It's fine, Laur."

"Hey, are you okay? Have you been crying?" Lauren said, with such care and concern.

"No. Not at all. My throat hurts, that's all," Camila lied, pretending to cough too.

"You suck at lying, you know that? What's wrong, honey?" Lauren has been calling her all these cute names, making Camila swoon and fall harder.

"My parents. I miss nights at your place," Camila said, putting the blanket over her legs.

Camila heard Lauren laugh loudly in the phone, making her smile. "The last time you were over here was yesterday, Camz. Cheer up! If you want, we can spend tomorrow watching movies or whatever you want to do."

"That'll be nice. Honestly, I need to stay away from this house."

Camila knew that Lauren was smiling sadly.