Chapter Twenty-Seven

This year, Harry opted to have small birthday dinner, which meant that he just wanted to spend time with his wife and son. This was only his thirty-ninth birthday; next year, for his fortieth, it would've been a blow out of a birthday. Since it was Friday, William wanted his younger brother to have at least a birthday dinner, even if Harry didn't want it. Yet, it happened anyway.

Throughout the day, Lucy had kept clear of her husband, undoubtedly for a surprise later. Unfortunately for Harry, he couldn't actually think of what Lucy's surprise might be, even if she had one. Harry realized she probably didn't have one but was busy with other things going on. Freddie was fifteen months now, with Freddie walking very well and starting to form some sort of words. He went to daycare in the morning, when Lucy usually had events. She picked up for the afternoon.

Lucy had an event this morning, early enough that she wasn't there when he woke up. He took Freddie to daycare, to interact with other kids. Lucy picked up Freddie after noon. Once getting back to the Kensington Palace apartment, Freddie was still over the mountain energized. He ran around and Lucy ran after him. Harry tried to stop his wife, mostly because she looked exhausted, but they wanted to do this by themselves. A nanny wasn't necessary to them. However, Freddie liked to use his loud voice and run amuck.

"Hey, Luce," he called earlier.

"Later," she replied and went after their son.

At dinner, Lucy didn't look tired. Gwen had done a good job, always had. Lucy's blonde hair was straight again, much like it was at any event, and her makeup was done so properly that she was made into perfection. Any tiredness or wrinkles (of Lucy's twenty-six years) were gone. The nanny was there, as Freddie was taken to bed. William and Catherine's children were long gone now, being sent to their own Kensington Palace apartment.

The table was fully set after all food had been eaten. Wine and alcohol was set on the table and drunk, except for Lucy, who always drank non-alcoholic drinks. She preferred to keep her wits about her. Harry's family sat around the table laughing and enjoying themselves. Lucy laughed too, with her mouth closed. Harry knew then that she faked it. There was something that gnawed at her, like a secret. He hoped it was a happy one, but he couldn't tell by her expression. It easily could've been that she didn't like the company that she was in. He noticed that Lucy had grown more and more dejected recently.

Charles told an old story of Harry, and Lucy smiled again. William told another story, but Lucy had heard the story many times before. She excused herself and went to the bathroom, which she came back a little under ten minutes later. Harry and Lucy sat next to each other, and he noticed how Lucy smelt minty. Lucy didn't like the taste of mint mixed with anything, especially the water she tasted. She eyed the water for the rest of the night but never lifted it to her lips.

As the night finally grew to a close, the guests left, with William and Catherine were the last ones to leave. Lucy left everything at the table and took off her heels. Harry came back into the living room. She pulled on tennis shoes and then stood up. Harry stood in front of her.

"Let's go for a walk," Lucy suggested, knowing that the nanny was upstairs with Freddie.

"It's past midnight," Harry said.

"Feeling old yet?"

Harry scoffed. "Let's go."

Walking around the grounds at Kensington Palace at night wasn't smart, because police patrolled. No one was supposed to be out this late at night, especially the royals. Yet, Harry and Lucy did it anyway. They did this when they were younger, when they began to date. It was almost a game to Lucy, to see if she was to be caught. Once, they were caught, and it was awkward to say the least as the police questioned them. This time, Lucy brought her I.D.

"So," Harry hummed into the September night, "you want to go for a walk because...?"

"I didn't really get you a present for your birthday."

He scoffed. "I didn't notice."

Her eyes slid over to him.

"Okay, I did notice, but you've been busy recently and tired so I thought, you know..." he trailed off.

Lucy smiled. "I didn't... exactly know how to tell you. You wanted to be surprised and I should be happy, you know. That's what you wanted-- that's what everyone wants. And I tried, but it's not me, Harry."

"What?" Confusion wore on his face. "Luce, you're not making any sense."

She stopped walking. "I don't have a present for you now, but it should be arriving in April."

Harry paused. "That's quite a ways away. Does it take that long to ship?"

"Yeah." She shrugged. Walking closer to him, Lucy stood close to Harry. "Isn't this how you wanted it to be done? Or should I have baked you a cake? Would you rather I did it that way? Perhaps I can start again tomorrow?"

"Wait, what?"

"I thought if I told you on your birthday, it would be special."

"Luce," Harry looked her straight in eyes, "do you want to explain?" He swallowed. Harry hadn't kissed his wife, but the scent of her managed to make it into his mouth. "How much mint did you brush your teeth with?"

"This one has been a little more difficult, a lot more... vomiting than last time." She shrugged. "Then again, I didn't exactly have these problems last time."

Slowly, his eyes became bigger and bigger, like he tried to understand. His mouth was agape. And then he closed it, only for it to open again. He tried to relax, unsure that his mind played games on him. But then again, Lucy had been keeping this secret for however long, and then she was also sick. Lucy had never been one to complain so there was no reason to start now; after all, she did survive getting shot eighteen times.

"Luce," Harry paused, "are you pregnant?"