Chapter Fifty-Seven

30 June 2027

Lucy and Harry stared into one of the bedrooms of their Kensington Palace apartment. It was finished, with most of the work going to Harry, or rather the people who worked under Harry. They had made plans for the bedrooms of the little girls, but Lucy had done no heavy lifting. She didn't mind watching. All the rooms were differently, currently color-coded per girl. Names would've been given later. Space here, thankfully, was infinite. No rooms needed to be shared, and, hopefully, they wouldn't wake each other up.

His arms were curled around his wife, with her head resting on his shoulder. All of the bedrooms were finished, with three months to go. Lucy's hand was on her back, with a massive back ache all day. Her head pounded too. Her skin seemed too tight and it was too hot inside the apartment. Even as she leaned against Harry, he was too hot.

The boys ran around their feet, playing with airplanes and dolls. Throughout the whole process of the babies' rooms, the boys watched more and more, and they got more and more excited. The days counted down in their minds. Harry and Lucy yet needed more time to get everything ready.

"Enough," Lucy said. "Lunch time. Downstairs."

The boys raced out of the bedroom and downstairs.

Harry kissed her on the forehead. "You good?"

"Yeah." Her head pounded.

"They're wild today." Harry and Lucy walked down the stairs. He started two stairs below her but he made it all the way down by the time Lucy got five stairs down. He turned back to her, and her chest went up and down. "Luce?"

"I'm fine. Go."

After giving her a worried look, Harry went into the kitchen. One step at a time, Lucy made it down the stairs and entered the kitchen. Sandwiches were in order. Freddie set the table for them. Lucy pulled out the bread and set it aside. The adults stopped as the smell hit them. Their eyes peeled across the room. Their faces landed on the source. Henry started to cry, screaming and obnoxious. The smell of poop filled the room.

"Harry, could you?"

Harry picked up his younger son, who had an accident. Henry was potty trained, but accidents still happened. His cries filled the air, bouncing off the walls. Harry pulled him upstairs. Henry's cries continued to fill the apartment, even with a few doors closed.

Lucy looked at her son and smiled. "What kind of sandwich do you want?"

"Ham and cheese."

"Ham and cheese? What kind of cheese?"

"The white kind."

Lucy pulled the cheese out of the refrigerator and set it on the counter. "Butter?"

Freddie nodded. Wiping butter on the bread, she put down a piece of ham and then a piece of cheese. "More," he said.

"More? What do you say?"

"More please."

Lucy placed another piece of ham and cheese on the sandwich. She made the same sandwich for Henry too. "Do you want it cut?"

Freddie nodded.

She grabbed the knife and sliced the bread, ham and cheese, and then she hit the plate. Lucy leaned forward, hunching over. She stared down at the sandwich. Biting her bottom lip, Lucy refused to make a sound. A groan wanted to escape her lips, but she refused to do so. She wouldn't show pain in front of her son. Lucy refused to show fear in front of her son.

"Mummy?"

"Kiddo, can you please go get your dad?" The words, thankfully, weren't squeaks, but calm and collected. She continued to stare at the sandwich.