Chapter Fifty-Three

February 2027

In the morning, Harry let Lucy slept in. Freddie was already awake and Henry eyes slowly opened. Harry took them downstairs for food. It was probably for the best that Lucy wasn't up yet because she would've been complaining about the smell. It was more like certain smells made her nauseous. As well as the boys were always energetic in the morning. Harry made them breakfast. Both of the boys managed to make a mess, with Henry almost three and Freddie close to five. Goodness, they were growing up fast, and they were going to have another little sibling running around.

Was it bad that Harry hoped it was a girl? He wanted a Daddy's girl, who would play dress up but play sports. And he wanted Lucy to be able to talk about other than normal boy stuff with. Harry always wanted a little daughter, how adorable she would be.

Harry had already cleaned up the boys by the time Nanny showed up for the day. Lucy and Harry had their first doctor's appointment today for the current baby. Harry was overjoyed, of course, and of course, Lucy was still sleeping.

He went upstairs to slowly wake up his wife, but Lucy was already awake. She stared at the ceiling. Her hand rested on her stomach. Harry watched his wife in the doorway. Her eyes fluttered over to him. Harry walked in and rested on the bed too. Kissing her belly, he left his head there.

"I know I can't," Lucy began, "it's not possible, but it's like I can already feel a bump." Her fingers ran over her skin.

"Are you farther along than you think?"

She shrugged. "We'll find out today, but I had my period in late November. I should only be eight weeks or so."

Harry put his hand to her stomach, and he thought he felt a bump. He knew he was wrong; he was just too excited. He kissed her stomach again and then got up. "I have food downstairs, and you should eat before we go."

Nodding, Lucy forced herself out of bed and into the bathroom. She took a shower and then changed. Her hair curled naturally. She placed on natural makeup, which wasn't as strong as her royal makeup. She didn't expect to be caught by paparazzi but just in case.... Going downstairs, Harry played with the boys as Lucy ate. Once she finished, she played with her boys, who didn't really notice a difference in their mum. Freddie knew sometimes she was sick but that was it.

The couple left after kisses to their boys. Robert drove with Simon in front of the car. Tony had the day off to spend time with his own kids. No one noticed them as they went into the doctor's office. Lucy was placed on the cold, hard cot again, and she laid back. Harry waited beside her. Even at forty- two years old, Harry was quite energetic. The boys got it from him. A smile couldn't be kept off Harry's face. He couldn't contain his excitement. He rocked back and forth of his toes and heels.

When the nurse came in and ran some tests on Lucy, Harry counted down the moments until he got to see his future baby on the sonogram machine. Lucy rolled her eyes and stared up at the ceiling. Her natural expression of annoyance shined. Lucy had gotten better over the years but she still had a resting bitch face.

Next, the tech came in for the sonogram. The doctor would've came in afterward with all tests run and everything nice done. Lucy rolled up her shirt and pushed down her pant slightly. Her belly was exposed, along with all her scars. Some of the scars came from her time of being shot while others were stretchmarks. All of the scars were beautiful.

"This might be cold," the technician said.

The spurt of blue gel was placed on her stomach with the wand swirling it around. Quickly the screen illuminated to show blurriness. The technician focused on making it less blurry. No matter how many buttons were pushed, it didn't help. The screen remained blurry and no one was quite sure what they looked at.

Lucy, who usually was calm, now wasn't. Her pulse quickened. She had been in these things before, and there was always a clear image. Now, there wasn't. Harry felt her panic and he immediately held her hand tightly. It was for her, as well as him. There wasn't a need to panic; they weren't trained like the technician.

The technician stared at the screen, and then took off the wand from Lucy's stomach. The technician shut off the screen. "Excuse me."

"Where are you going?" Lucy demanded, voice low and scary. It made the technician jump.

"I'm getting the doctor. He'll speak to you." The technician left the room.

Placing his other hand to Lucy's face, Harry said, "Be calm. Everything's okay."

"Really?" she spat.

"We don't know anything."

"That person is a fucking moron. They can't say just what's wrong. Is there not a baby? Is it cancer? Use fucking words." Lucy clamped her mouth shut and breathed sharply through her nose. She shook the whole table with her anger. 

Harry held Lucy's hand tightly. "Whatever it is, we'll get through it together. I promise." He smiled but it was sad and lonely. "Who knows, it might be something good. Don't we deserve something good in our lives, something happy."

"I think we might've used it all up."

"Luce, if there's anyone who deserves happiness, it's you." He kissed her forehead. "Everything is going to be okay."

Nodding, she took a shaky breath but at least said nothing too abusive to anyone. She counted down, only five seconds of fear: five... four... three... two... one....

The next three minutes were the longest three minutes of their lives, which was saying something. You had to remember where these two human beings came from. Harry's mother died when he was thirteen. He spent countless nights in the desert, in war zones. He saw people die, and so had Lucy. Lucy had her parents and her brother die on her, in a school shooting. Her best friends were dead, along with her ex-boyfriend. They had happiness together, but sometimes there was some shitty stuff. A man broke into their Kensington Palace apartment and held a knife to them. Charles was dead and so was the Queen. There had been some very long nights for them. But these three minutes were the worst.

The doctor came in. "Let's see."

Lucy was completely still as more blue gel was placed on her stomach. More blue gel went into the cracks of her skin. It wasn't as cold the second time. The medical wand was placed to her stomach as the doctor stared at the screen in front of him. Harry stared too, while Lucy stared upward. She didn't want to see. The clicking of buttons were the only sound, no heartbeats, not even her own, and she was alive.

The doctor leaned closer to the screen and shifted the medical wand over and over again on Lucy's stomach. She let out an annoyed huff. The doctor leaned back and stopped clicking buttons.

"Doctor, what is it?" Harry asked. His voice matched a child's.

"Do you see this?" The doctor pointed to the screen. Harry already looked and Lucy was forced to look over.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

There was silence in the room, and then an intake of air as news was given out to the couple.