Chapter Fifty-Nine

1 July 2027

Three incubators kept the small babies warm, with tubes running into machines. Their chests puffed out and then caved in. The heartbeats were quick, strumming along that never ended. Nurses and doctors paced throughout the room, constantly keeping watch of every baby. Harry stood off to the side, watching his daughters. Obviously the girls weren't out of the woods yet, but they survived birth, which was a good sign. Harry refused to leave their side. Their dad was going to be there for them. He would've always been there for them.

Slowly the doctors and nurses moved out, until one nurse was left in the room with Harry. Pacing, Harry watched each of his daughters for a moment before moving onto the next one. Time didn't exist in Harry's mind. Any time he looked at the clock, he was shocked by it. His mind focused on his little girls.

Suddenly a low beeping sound occurred and Harry jumped. Baby C's heart rate dropped and the nurse rushed over. A doctor came in too. Harry backed away and watched them work. The problem was quickly solved, as the tube was placed back into Baby C. The doctor and nurse waited for a minute, and then the doctor left again.

"What happened?" he asked.

"The tube just came out," he said. "It happens sometimes. We'll keep a good watch on the girls, your highness." The nurse checked all the girls and took more numbers down.

Harry stood beside Baby C's incubator. Her chest heaved quickly, more than the other two. She was so small and delicate, like holding a flower. His blue eyes rested on her incubator. His hand came to touch the glass, as he wished to touch her.

"Your highness," said a male voice behind him.

Turning around, Tony stood there with a grim look upon his face. Harry acknowledged him, "Yes?"

"The King is wondering on the condition of everyone."

Harry had no words to describe what happened around him. His girls were alive but they weren't healthy. There was concern that they might possibly die soon, and Harry wanted to pray but he hadn't done that in such a long time. His little girls were just there, lying around on breathing machines. But they were alive. "I'll send pictures to him." He fumbled with his mobile but pulled it out to take rather shitty first pictures of his daughters.

Tony nodded. "How is the Duchess?"

The realization hit him. "What time is it?"

"It's six in the morning, sir."

"The babies were born a little after midnight?"

"Yes, sir."

Harry pushed past the bodyguard and into the hallway. Immediately his eyes found the nurses' station and he demanded, "Where's my wife?" Once again, panic pushed through his veins. Where was Lucy? He couldn't do this without Lucy? "Where is the Duchess of Windsor? Where is Lucy Smith?" Harry couldn't seem to catch his breath, even after he was told to calm down. Tony stood beside him, trying to pry him away from the station, but without an answer, Harry refused to go.

"Your highness."

Time seemed to slow, if not to come to a standstill for Harry. He cursed himself for leaving Lucy's side; he knew he shouldn't have done it. Now the consequences came down. Harry turned to the doctor who delivered the babies. He looked tired and pale, with blood on his shoes-- most likely Lucy's blood.

This was supposed to be simple-- all of it was supposed to be simple for Harry. He was supposed to have a happy, little life, with a wife and a few children. There had been a warning about Lucy when Harry started to date her: she was rough around the edges and she wasn't like everyone else. Some people didn't believe that she belonged with the monarchy. Princesses were supposed to be sweet and kind, with a smile always on their face, and they were supposed to be loved. Lucy didn't give a shit. And Harry blamed himself for this. He blamed himself for getting Lucy involved in all of this, when she would've done it anyway. He should've put space between them in Africa; he knew better. Yet Harry loved her, and his life would be miserable without her.