Chapter Twenty-Eight

Awaking early, Lucy sat in front of the television in the living room. The news played on as she waited. It was released in the morning, the news of the new baby on the way. 

"Kensington Palace announced early this morning that the Prince and Princess of Wales are expecting again," the anchor said.

"Let the bets begin," said the other anchor. "We know those will roll in quickly."

"Do you have an idea yet?" asked the news anchor. "Will you place bets?"

"Absolutely," said the other anchor. "I'm going with a girl, another big baby, named Diana, and she will be born in late April."

Lucy sat on the couch and Harry plopped down beside her. He watched the television too, but he never understood why Lucy enjoyed the news, especially the rumor columns. She was always interested by the laws. Harry put his arm around Lucy, and she leaned into her husband.

"Do you have any bets?" the other anchor asked.

"I agree with you on most, but I think early April."

"Oh, switching it up there?"

"Yes, I'm switching it up, being smart."

Lucy grabbed the remote and turned off the television. "That was very English. I'm not sure if I can handle that this morning."

Harry pursed his lips. "Luce, we got to talk."

She breathed deeply and turned to her husband. Lucy leaned back on the couch. "I'm all ears."

"You've been different recently," Harry began, "and I chalked it up to the pregnancy. You are sick with this baby and tired, which you weren't with Freddie. So I assumed it was that. I was wrong-- I am wrong." He searched Lucy's eyes. "I know you have a problem with William, and I've talked about it with him but he wants to do what is best for the monarchy. You understand that-- you used to understand that. Now, I don't know. Now, you've changed, Lucy.

"I love you, Luce, I always will and I always have. That isn't going to change. But since Freddie's birth, even when you found out, slowly you've been changing. And you've gotten used to the media, but now you hate the media. And I never wanted that for you. You had a respect for the media and they respected you, but now you two hate each other. Your poll numbers are dropping, and the baby will help with that.

"I want to help, Luce, but I can't understand." Harry didn't touch Lucy, as if he wished to keep his distance. "Help me understand."

Lucy never left his gaze. "I understand what you're saying, Harry. I know that I have changed, and you're looking for a reason. It is easy to say Freddie and this baby, and it is easy to say William and the monarchy, and it is easy to say the media. All of them together makes an interesting combination," she said. "But it's other things, we know that."

"What things?" He finally touched her. Harry finally let himself touch his wife.

"The date?"

"Twenty-ninth of October, twenty twenty-three."

"My mind has been focused on other things, Harry, like Freddie and this life here, and I stopped a few weeks ago and noticed what the date was."

Harry swallowed. "Ten years?"

"Yeah," she agreed. "It's been in the back of my mind for a while now, and it's been causing me some stress."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I hadn't really been thinking about it, with my mind going a million miles an hour, and then I couldn't stop."

"Sydney isn't in control of it any longer?" Harry asked. "Not after...?"

Lucy nodded. "Yeah, some parents took it over after Syd had her...." She didn't finish.

"Do you want to go?"

"Yes, because it's not something you let go." Her eyes were dangerous. "Harry, it's like I've ran away from my past. I love you and I love our son, and this life, I like good enough, but I have forgotten about who I used to be. I need to know who that person is again, because that is a part of me that I have been neglecting."

Harry remained perfectly still.

"It is my past. It is the reason why I am the way I am today. It is who I am today. It is my understand of the world," Lucy said. "It is the reason I became this kind of human being. It is the reason I can say that I am a human being."

"I'll go with you."

Lucy arched an eyebrow.

"And so will Freddie." Harry held her hands. "We'll stand by your side, I promise. We'll always be with you."

"I never doubted that for a second, Harry." Her eyes glanced down for less than a second but she pursed her lips anyway. "And I promise to try harder so that people can like me, even though they have no idea who I am."

Harry smirked and rolled his eyes. "That's all I ask."

"What is bothering you?" she asked. "I know there is something, Harry, and I know it isn't just me."

Biting his bottom lip, Harry hated to admit but it was there. "I'm not sure if I can...." He restarted, "The monarchy has done so much for me, but I realize I don't want to raise our kids in this type of life."

"Public school?"

"Have fun convincing Wills."

"I'm not one to back down from a fight."

"I know that." Harry rolled his eyes again. "Try to be nice to him."

Lucy shrugged. Kissing him on cheek, she excused to the kitchen and Harry followed after her. "I'll tell Siobhan about our trip to Minnesota."

"It'll be cold again," he warned.

She smirked.

"I can't wait. I love frostbite," Harry said. "There is nothing I love more than to be frozen."

"I rather be frozen than in the heat."

Harry shook his head. "That's insane."

"One you can live longer in," she said. Lucy moved around the kitchen and started making food. "Do you want to get Freddie for breakfast?"

Harry paused. "I'll make breakfast and you can get Freddie."

She stopped. "What does that mean?"

"I don't want Kensington Palace burned down." He moved into the kitchen more. "I'll cook. You can go get Freddie."

Lucy clicked her tongue and went up to retrieve her son.