Chapter Forty-Seven

November 2025

It was another rainy day in London. The chill moved in with November appearing. The leaves had already fallen, and now were dead and brown. The brilliant color had been replaced by rundown clouds. It was another Saturday, like everyone was excited. People flocked into London today, like most Saturdays. It was more people today, and they lined the streets. Usually tourists flocked to London in the summer, not in the crummy weather of autumn. However, this wasn't like every other Saturday. With the recent death of King Charles III, William was set to become King William V of England today.

Harry dressed in his Armed Forces uniform, the best one with the highest ranks shown, while Lucy wore a nice blue dress. She wasn't forced back into another hat, which was at least happy about. After the ceremony, the boys would've joined them at Kensington Palace. William and Catherine's children were at least old enough to sit through the ceremony, to be intently watching as the show went on. George, who would've eventually be known as King George VII, was to watch his father intently, to learn as much as he could for when his time came.

Carriages awaited outside, where everyone was loaded up. Harry was with Lucy in one of the carriages, and for the life of her, she never got used to these things. They were bumpy and loud. The carriages were terrible in the heat. Usually, Lucy was thankful for getting one without windows because it got hot within the carriage, but today wasn't one of those days. Even with the constant rain, people came out. Their cheers filled everyone's ears.

Arriving at Westminster Abbey, they were unloaded like everyone else. Cameras watched their every movement. They weren't the only ones to come in, as the church was already beginning to fill up. They were one of the few last ones in. Catherine was the last one, before William, with her children in tow behind her.

Everyone rose as William entered. The ceremony started. Decorative was easy enough to say, and Lucy knew it all too well. The ceremony continued, as Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, son of Princess Diana of Wales and King Charles III of England, because King William V of England, with the long list of extra titles and honors. William was one of the youngest monarchs around the world, especially in recent history. He was King at the age of 43.

After the ceremony, the King was first to leave, with his family behind him, going down the line. Harry was quite really taken out of running for head monarch long ago, but he was still the closest that wasn't in William's immediate family. Moving on, the carriages awaited again. Someday, Lucy would've arrived at Westminster Abbey in a car again.

Arriving at Buckingham Palace, William's new home, they arrived at the balcony. Crowds of Westminster Abbey moved to Buckingham Palace, if not already there, welcomed the new King to the balcony, with his family. After a moment, Harry and Lucy moved out with the boys at their sides. Freddie wanted to look over the edge, but Harry kept a firm grip on him. Henry had no problem staying at Lucy's side. While Freddie was happy with the constant screaming, Henry buried his head into his mother's leg.

Moving back inside, a party would've taken place at Buckingham Palace at dusk, but for now, it was time to settle down. Harry and Lucy changed and nibbled on some food. Lucy took care of Henry and Freddie. Once again, Freddie ran around again. Lucy just let him go. Gwen helped Lucy change into a long, flowing red dress for the party. The boys would've came for the party a little, and then they would've been sent to bed. This was a stuffy party, so Lucy wished to escape the party.

Moving downstairs, the largest ballroom at Buckingham Palace had been set up with long tables set in white clothe, with all the most beautiful china had been set up. Heads of States and celebrities sat already. They stood as Harry and Lucy were first announced, "His Royal Highness, Prince Henry of Windsor, and Her Royal Highness, Princess Lucille of Windsor." They walked down the steps arm in arm. After a few moments, William and Catherine's children were called down, announced in fashionable tones as child royals with titles and honors. When it was time William was announced, along with his queen, Catherine. Everyone stood.

The dinner was long with four courses being too short. Several more courses were added. After the dinner, everyone moved to another large ballroom within Buckingham Palace where an orchestra played and people danced. Henry and Freddie came out for a bit, dancing along to the music. Freddie and Henry got Lucy's dance moves over their father's, thankfully. The boys were excused after only an hour at the party. Harry and Lucy danced with Heads of States, other family members and celebrities. All eyes stayed on William and Catherine.

"Always the spare," Lucy whispered to Harry.

"Thankfully," he said.

She laughed. "You never being King?"

"Maybe when I was young, because I knew I was a spare. I knew I really didn't have a purpose. I was there in case Wills died; it's terrible feeling." Harry watched his older brother with pride. "But the truth is, I never wanted to be King. I wouldn't want to be King. It's too stuffy and annoying. There are things that we can't do."

"We?"

His blue eyes shined at her. "You, of course, would be my queen."

Lucy scoffed. "They wouldn't have me within a hundred feet of you if you were the future King. It takes a selective amount of people to be somewhat close to you guys."

He laughed. "Thankfully I'm not King of England and I'll never be, because I am happy for my life to be spent with you." Harry kissed her hand. "Now, come on, let's watch."

"Watch what?"

Harry said nothing. Tugging on her hand, Lucy went with him as he led her out of the ballroom and higher and higher into Buckingham Palace. Lucy went along, after taking off her high heels so that she could run with him. Harry didn't seem to think they were going to get caught running in Buckingham Palace, or just being away from the party. They continued to run on the red carpet hallways. He warned her about the doors and they only opened them a slight bit to sneak out. Returning to the balcony, the couple had a beautiful view of the fireworks display as they boomed in the sky. Brilliants flashed of colorful light lit up every part of London. All of this was to celebrate William becoming King.

It was chilly outside, with the rain at least stopping for the briefest time, but Lucy loved the cold. Somehow the Minnesotan in her hadn't left after all these years. Harry tried to be a gentleman and give his coat to her, but she refused. Her eyes stayed up on the fireworks above her.

"I think we out do Americans on Independence Day," Harry stated with a smile.

"Don't let them hear that." Her head rested on his shoulder. "It's beautiful."

"The fireworks are," he agreed.

"No, but yes. The fireworks are beautiful." Lucy sighed. "London is beautiful. I love it here."

"I'm happy, because you're most likely to spend the rest of your life here."

"This is how it should be."

"Spending time in London?"

"Spending my life with you."