Chapter Fifty-One

31 December 2026

Freddie said he was going to stay up until midnight. Freddie said he was going to see the fireworks over the River Thames. Freddie said he was going to ring in the new year with his parents and brother. Henry nodded along with his brother, always wanting to follow in his brother's footsteps.

Henry passed out four hours before midnight. It wasn't unexpected. He tried hard to stay awake, but he liked to sleep, always. It was his preferred method of living. Honestly, Henry didn't try too hard. His eyelids drooped and he collapsed against his older brother. With Nanny in tonight, Henry was taken upstairs to sleep comfortably.

Next was Freddie, who made the promises to stay awake until midnight, fell asleep three hours before midnight. He fought it well, and any time his eyes drooped, he fought to keep them awake. He suppressed all his yawns, even when his eyes teared up too. He put up a good fight, but the four year old fell asleep too. Nanny took him upstairs.

"I've got this, your highnesses," Nanny said, "if you would like to go out."

It didn't need to be said twice. All the couple needed to do was change, before the couple grabbed their things and snuck out of the Kensington Palace apartment. Unlike many times before, there were no bodyguards with him, which daunted Harry. Lucy liked it; it tasted like freedom. Most of her life was without bodyguards, and it was only recently, since she had joined the family, that it became a problem. With him wearing glasses and a hat to protect himself from the cold, along with a winter jacket, no one was going to notice him. All eyes were to be on the fireworks. Lucy was just someone you didn't notice.

The Tube was packed and they walked along with the crowds, getting closer and closer to the River Thames. People were jammed together as they looked on. At least it was warm. Lucy was still a stranger creature, finding it only slightly chilly, while everyone else's teeth chattered. Her eyes were trained to the sky; she waited.

Harry's armed curled around Lucy as he held on. His chin rested on her shoulder. He whispered, perhaps, inappropriate things in ear, especially in public. No one heard, especially with all the yelling around. They weren't the only couple doing rather cutesy things, but it certainly would've made the old Lucy want to vomit. It was weird when it was you doing the cutesy things, and Lucy was used to it now. If Harry started out this strong with her, there wasn't a way for them to last. But it had grown on her now.

It was still thirty minutes before midnight as they continued to speak. Harry sometimes grew very tense as people knocked into him, a few times when there were some screams, and then when people started to drink around them, after having been smuggled in. Alcohol was passed around from people to people. The couple was asked if they wanted any, but Lucy gave a nice smile and said no. She remained relaxed.

Lucy only grew tense when the crowd started to get rowdy, as the time ticked down.

"Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five!"

The couple cheered too.

"Four! Three! Two! One!"

Cheers rang throughout the crowd.

"Happy New Year!"

Harry spun Lucy around and kissed her deeply, matching many other couples. Fireworks bloomed into the sky, but the first moment of them were missed by the couple. Their eyes were closed, lips pressed against each other. When the kiss finished, Harry licked his lips as Lucy blushed. Their gazes turned skyward for the fireworks.

Colors exploded in the sky, over the river, shimmering and shining. The lights could've been seen from anywhere in London, but it was the best to be right under them. The crowd was mostly silent unless to acknowledge how beautiful the fireworks were. Some fireworks shot high up into the sky, with some low to the ground. Lucy's favorite was the large ones, the ones that filled the sky; she liked red and blue ones. Harry enjoyed those too.

With every blast, though, Lucy jumped, reminding her of many years ago. It was a shock to everyone that she somehow enjoyed fireworks. The pops and booms reminded her of what it was like to be in school, to hear all of it. But somehow she was calm. Even with Harry's past, he was calm; he enjoyed the fireworks.

The crowds cheered as the last of the fireworks ended, and began to disband quickly. While others went to the Tube, Harry and Lucy chose to walk for a while under the London light. Of course drunks and winos were out and about. Harry kept a good grip on her when they crossed a path of one, but Lucy laughed. The worst that happened was a male flashed his chest at them. Lucy took Harry away from the crowds.

Returning back to Kensington Palace, Nanny was relieved of duty, and she went to sleep. Harry kissed Lucy on the neck as they went to their bedroom. Lucy continued to blush.

"How are you not tired?" she asked.

"You make me feel awake."

"Well, I'm tired."

Both of them changed and Lucy washed her face and brushed her teeth. Harry was quicker and he climbed into bed. Lucy took a bit longer. As she finished up in the bathroom, she glanced at the calendar in front of her. She understood that it was January the first of twenty- twenty- seven; she was going to turn thirty this year. She didn't feel old or anything, but she didn't expect to have two kids already. As she looked at the calendar, something seemed to be missing; something was off. When it didn't come to her mind, Lucy was too tired to give a care. It would've come to her eventually.

Lucy left the bathroom and climbed into bed, shutting off the lights. After a minute of silence, Harry rolled over and draped the blankets over her, basically giving his side of the blankets to her. He kissed her on the forehead while pulling her closer to him. She didn't mind. After another kiss from him, Harry rolled back over and fell asleep. Lucy stayed awake a little while longer. She knew something was missing; something was off. But she couldn't remember what it was. With the two little boys who ran around constantly, it was abnormal. Lucy fell asleep.