Chapter 17

Cassandra's POV:

I woke up slowly as usual. I got dressed and tried to head down stairs, but something, someone was blocking my bedroom door.

"The date is Saturday." 

"Actually, the date is Friday." I sassed Joey, ducking under his arm and heading down stairs. I knew he would follow so it didn't surprise me when his voice was close to my ear.

"No the date is Saturday." He repeated.

Then I realized what he meant and asked, "Oh, oh. How do you know?" 

"He was talking to her on the phone last night. It's on Saturday at 11. He's going to skate down to the beach and meet her because he doesn't want her to meet dad yet."

"Hmm I wonder why?" I asked, the sarcasm evident in my voice.

"Morning." Jakob said, a bit more spring in his step than usual. Joey and I exchanged a glance. Obviously he noticed it too.

"Morning." I said trying to sound casual as I munched on my toast, but it didn't work.

"What?" Jakob asked.

"Nothing." I said. "C'mon lets go." I brushed it off and grabbed my backpack.

XXX

We got to school and got out. Jakob began walking away when I felt an elbow go into my ribs and Joey's voice whisper,

"Nice going, now he thinks something's up."

"Well isn't there?"

"He isn't supposed to know." He hissed as he walked away from me too.

"Sorry we can't all be perfect Joseph!" I called after him. He turned around and flipped me off with a smile which I returned. I laughed to myself and walked up to my group with a smile, until I heard the yelling. This time it wasn't just Conner and Chelsea, it was the whole group against each other.

"They are still fighting?" I asked, as I stood next to Ryan.

"Thank God you're here! I was about ready to run into on going traffic. I hope that answers your question." Ryan sighed and pulled me in for a hug.

"I know I haven't been in this group very long but c'mon they love each other, right?"

"Yeah. They do, it's just Conner doesn't really realize that girls are attracted to him because he's so in love with Chelsea and Chelsea obviously see how the girls act around him and she's insecure about herself which makes her the jealous type." Ryan said and I shook my head. 

"When they aren't fighting, they are perfect." I said.

"Yeah, perfect." He said. I glanced over at him quickly and he was just staring at me. I blushed and looked down. Why is he staring? The bell rang, making Ryan and I snap out of our little trances.

"See ya at lunch!" Ryan said. I waved and headed of to class.

XXX

The day went by quickly. Ryan and I sat quietly almost all through lunch, listening to the fight going on around us. Math was terminally boring, I couldn't talk to Cole which is what I wanted. We always had fun, lighthearted conversations and today I needed it. The last 5 minutes of class we were aloud to talk.

"So TGIF, right?" Cole asked, sitting on top of his desk.

"Yeah. I'm so ready for a weekend. I need it." I smiled.

"I bet. I mean after Monday and all..." He trailed off.

"How dare you bring that up? Didn't your mommy ever teach you it's rude to bring up traumatic experiences?" I sarcastically said.