Of Dating and the Like

A/N: I do not own Harry Potter or any scenes that come from it.

***

Chapter 8: Of Dating and the Like

Wednesday afternoon, I found myself walking around outside with Vincent and Gregory after lunch. We were talking amiably about random subjects. They seemed happy that I was taking the time to hang out with them. They were not that bad of company.

It was not long before Draco found us near the Black Lake. "I see you're still trying to steal my friends, Hansen," he said with obvious distaste.

"She wants to be your friend too," Vincent said.

I nodded. "I'm sorry if you feel left out, but you're free to join us."

"I don't feel left out," Draco muttered as he came to stand beside me. "I'm fine on my own, thank you."

I glanced at him, unconvinced. "If you say so." I dug into my bag and pulled out a chocolate cupcake. Then I smiled at Draco and held it out to him. "I've got one left. Do you want it? They're homemade."

"No," Draco said gruffly. "We're not friends."

"I'll take it," Gregory said quickly.

"No, I want it," Vincent said, pushing him out of the way.

I looked at Draco with raised eyebrows. "You can stop a nasty fight if you just take it."

Draco rolled his eyes and accepted the cupcake. "Fine. Have it your way."

I smiled. "You're welcome."

Just then, open of my first year Gryffindors trotted past us. "Hi, guys!" he said, waving at us before continuing his stroll.

"This is madness," Draco muttered. "It will never last."

"I think it can," I said.

Draco stared at the cupcake in his hand. "You will never stand with me when real trouble comes along."

I looked at him sympathetically. "You're wrong," I said softly. He did not say anything else, so I turned to the other two Slytherins. "We should be getting back. I have class soon."

Draco followed us back to the castle. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him take a bite out of the cupcake. I smiled slightly to myself.

***

The next two weeks that passed were nothing out of the ordinary. At the end of Transfiguration one Thursday morning, Professor McGonagall made an announcement.

"I have something to say to you all," she began. "The Yule Ball is approaching – a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above – although you may invite a younger student if you wish. Dress robes will be worn and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then-"

McGonagall stared deliberately around the class. "The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to – her – let our hair down," she said in a disapproving voice. "But that does NOT mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behavior we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way."

The bell rang. I hurried out of the classroom with Hermione. "Wow, a ball! This will be fun," I said excitedly.

Hermione smiled. "Yes, a chance for us girls to feel pretty for once in our lives."