Thinking It Through

Chapter 33: Thinking it Through

"When are you going to get back together with Draco?" Emily whined. We were sitting across from each other at a table in the library. I was helping her study for her exams.

I groaned at her question. "Why does everyone keep saying that? I thought everyone didn't want me to be with him."

Emily frowned. "I always wanted you to be with him, even before you wanted to."

I gave her a look. "Not the point."

Emily blinked. "Who else is saying you should get back together?"

"Ginny, Harry, Ron, Snape..."

"Snape?" Emily said in surprise, raising her eyebrows.

I let out a weary sigh. I was getting tired explaining the story. "Yes. I met with him about my future in potions. Anyway..." I trailed off, unconsciously touching the pendant beneath my shirt.

"Do you miss Draco?" Emily asked, more sympathetic this time.

I gazed at her sadly. "Of course I do. I've never missed anyone this much before. It hurts to be apart like this. But the worst part it-" I paused in and looked down, not sure if I wanted to reveal so much to my sister. She was too young an innocent. Yet, she had been part of the DA. Voldemort was threatening all of us. Didn't she have to be prepared too?

"What?" Emily asked gently.

I looked up at her and saw that she was genuinely concerned for me, so I decided to continue. "Worrying about him. I don't like what he's getting himself into." I smiled bitterly as I thought about something. "The reason dad doesn't want me near him is the very reason I want to be, the reason it hurts not to be. I'm afraid for him..." More afraid than I was for the darkness. Something stronger was emerging, and it was becoming hard to deny.

"You love him," Emily state softly.

I nodded. "I don't know if that's going to do me any good."

"Love always works out in the end," Emily said with a smile.

I sighed. "Yeah, well..."

"You gotta at least try."

"I know." She was saying what everyone else had been. My heart agreed with them, and my brain was finally starting to catch up.

"Do it now," Emily whispered. Her eyes flickered to the library door.

I glanced at the door. My breath caught in my throat when I saw Draco walking in with Gregory and Vincent. My body felt numb.

Then his eyes locked with mine. He frowned and glowered at me. Vincent smiled and started to wave to me, but Draco grabbed his arm and pulled him forward along with Gregory. They disappeared into the book shelves.

"Why is he being so hostile?" I wondered out loud.

"You dumped him," Emily stated flatly. "What do you expect? He's probably trying to mask the pain."

I let out a sigh. "Or he doesn't care about me anymore."

Emily frowned. "I doubt that's it. You should go talk to him."

I hesitated. "I will later. There's some things I've gotta think through first. I have to figure out what I'm going to say.

Emily gave me a serious look. "Alright. Just don't wait until it's too late."