The Right Choice

Chapter 14: The Right Choice

I spent much of the next few days avoiding everyone I knew. I just needed to be alone to think everything through. Finally, I knew what I had to do, though there was one detail I wanted confirmation about. I decided to seek out Ginny. I brought her to my room after classes on Friday. We were both seated cross-legged on my bed. My friend was watching me curiously. "What's this about, Crystal?"

"I have a hypothetically question," I began. I still wasn't ready to tell her the whole story. It would come in time.

Ginny blinked. "Ok. What is it?" She gave me an encouraging smile that made me feel more at ease.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. I had thought of how to word this a million times, but nothing came to my mind at the moment. I decided to just open my mouth and speak. "If you're going out with a guy, but you find that you'd rather be with a different guy, is it wrong to break up with your boyfriend to go out with him?" I gave her a weak smile. I knew many people would find what I was proposing as bad, but how could it be?

Ginny frowned, but soon a thoughtful expression overcame her face. When she spoke, she spoke slowly and deliberately. "I don't think it's wrong. But what are your reasons? Are you bored with your boyfriend and want someone new? Do you have a fear of commitment?"

I nodded. That seemed fair enough. "I guess those are things to consider. What if that's not the case? What if you were wrong to go out with your boyfriend in the first place? What if your heart truly wanted the other guy? Should you not break up with your boyfriend because you don't want to look bad?"

"I can see how that would happen," Ginny said. "I'd just say to not make it a habit. If it's a onetime thing, I don't see the problem. If you're really better off with the other guy, then you'd be doing you and your boyfriend a favor by breaking up with him. There's no point in continuing to go out with someone if you'd really rather be with someone else. It's not fair to either of you."

I small smile crept up on my face. That was what I needed to hear. "It wouldn't look like the other guy was 'stealing' the first guy's girlfriend?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Not if he doesn't pressure you and it's your choice. It that is how things are meant to be, than it is how they should be."

I gave her a genuine smile now. "Thanks, Ginny. That clears a lot of things up for me."

Ginny smiled at me in return. "No problem. But George is going to be disappointed."

I blinked at her in surprise. "What? I wasn't talking about myself!" I hoped I didn't look nervous as I shifted my eyes around uncomfortably.

Ginny smirked. "Sure, you weren't." She got off my bed and headed for the door. Glancing back at me, she said, "Good luck, Crystal."

I waved as I watched her leave. When she was out of sight, I lay back on my bed and groaned. I really didn't want to talk to George. I hated confrontation; I was afraid of his response. But I knew I had to do it. And the sooner the better. I vowed I would tell him the next time I saw him alone.

***

By Monday afternoon, I still hadn't found George alone. I was contemplating on asking him to meet me somewhere, when I nearly ran into him by the Black Lake. I looked up at him, startled. "George!" I exclaimed.

The red-headed boy grinned. "Too busy thinking about me to watch where you're going?" He winked.

I smirked and rolled my eyes. I was about to send back a witty reply when I stopped myself. With what I was about to do, that probably wasn't such a good idea. I frowned slightly. "George, can we talk?"