Friendship

Chapter 11: Friendship

I was glad it was Christmas break. There wasn't a horde of youngsters to taunt and tease George and me as we cuddled on the couch in the Gryffindor common room. His arm was around me, and my head was gently resting on his chest. We didn't need to say anything. Just being with each other was enough. I felt very peaceful, like all my worries had been washed away. Surely it didn't get better than this? I knew I had chosen rightly.

"I've got to go, love," George whispered in my ear.

I frowned. I didn't want him to live. I wrapped my arms around him in protest. "No," I said defiantly.

George chuckled lightly. "Sorry. I have to meet Fred." He bent down and kissed the top of my head.

I reluctantly let go of him. "Fine," I muttered. "I'll find something else to do." I looked at him disapprovingly.

George outright laughed at this. "I know you'll be fine on your own," he said as he stood up. He winked at me before heading out of the common room.

I tried reading the book Hermione had gotten me for Christmas for awhile, but I soon became restless. I needed to talk a walk. I didn't mind spending time on my own. My thoughts weren't haunting me like they sometimes did, so I had nothing to fear. I casually strolled through the castle, eventually making my way up to the seventh floor.

When I turned a corner, I nearly froze upon seeing Draco pacing back and forth along the hallway. He seemed to be thinking hard about something. He didn't even take notice of me as I stood by to watch him curiously. Finally, he stopped walking and looked up at me, his face showing surprise. He quickly composed his body into its usual arrogant stance. "Hansen, come with me."

I didn't have time to ask what he meant, for he turned and walked towards the wall. But it wasn't a wall anymore. There was a door there. I blinked in bewilderment. When did that get there?! As Draco opened the door, he looked back at me with raised eyebrows. I hesitated before following him inside. I found myself in a small living room type room. There was a cozy couch in front of a coffee table with two comfy chairs on either side. The whole place was nicely decorated. "Where are we?" I asked in wonderment.

"This is the Room of Requirements," Draco said as he came to stand beside me. I turned and looked at him, blinking. The what? "It shows you anything you want or are in need of. You just have to walk across the hallway a few times to make the door appear."

"Wow," I said, amazed. I had never heard of anything like that before. It was pretty cool. "Does everyone know about it?"

"No. We have to find it on our own." He smirked. "Only the most intelligent do so. You would have found it eventually." I smiled slightly, unsure of whether this was a good compliment or not. "It's nice and secluded here. I thought we could come here to talk without being bothered by anyone else."

"You mean without anyone else knowing we're associating with each other?" I said bluntly.

Draco stared at me calmly. "If you want to put it that way, yes." He turned so that he was fully facing me. "But I prefer my own wording." He reached up his right hand and gently touched the edge of my face, pushing my hair back.

My skin tingled form where he touched it. My breathing was starting to come out irregularly. I had to stop this. I had to take control of the situation before I gave into my own feelings. "Draco," I said softly. He held me in a surprisingly gently gaze. I swallowed. "George asked me out." His expression hardened, and I could feel his hand tense on my face. I hesitated before continuing, "I accepted."