Back

Chapter 24: Back

I woke up to Snowflake meowing in my face. I groaned and opened my eyes. The kitten was sitting on my chest, staring at me expectantly. I guess I had a new alarm clock. As I sat up, I saw that my sisters were already awake. I picked up Snowflake and gently placed him on the floor.

"You better hurry," Emily said. "Mrs. Weasley is freaking out. We're going to be late."

I willingly obliged. Luckily, it never took me long to get ready. I was soon running down the stars with my suitcases in my hands and Snowflake on my shoulder. I left my luggage in a pile where one of the members of the Order was going to take care of it.

We left the house in groups in order to decrease suspicion. I walked with Ginny, Fred, George, and a member of the Order, Remus Lupin. It took us about 10 minutes to reach King's Cross. We were the last group to arrive. The luggage was already unloaded.

The Order members who had joined us began to say goodbye. "Well, look after yourselves," Lupin said, shaking hands all round.

"Yeah, keep your head down and your eyes peeled," Moody said. "And don't forget, all of you--careful what you put in writing. If in doubt, don't put it in a letter at all."

"It's been great meeting all of you," Tonks as she gave a hug to Ginny, Hermione, and me."'We'll see you soon, I expect."

A whistle sounded, causing Snowflake, who was still perched on my shoulder, to meow.

"Quick, quick," Mrs. Weasley said distractedly, hugging us at random. "Write.... Be good.... If you've forgotten anything we'll send it on.... Onto the train, now, hurry...."

I hurried onto the train with the others. I set off with Emily to find a compartment. Because we were late, most compartments were full, so Emily and I slipped into one with second year Hufflepuffs. The others were immediately excited upon seeing my kitten. I smiled as I passed him around. Snowflake seemed to like all the attention.

I zoned out for most of the trip. When we arrived, I hurried to get my luggage ready. Emily and I found a carriage, which took us to the Hogwarts castle. I kept Snowflake snuggled in my lap. I did not want to lose him in the dark night, though his white fur would be pretty easy to spot.

My sister and I parted in the Great Hall. I found a seat at the Gryffindor table with Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Neville Longbottom. I resisted the urge to look at the Slytherin table. Draco had already told me through a letter where and when I was to meet him next.

"Who's that?" Hermione said suddenly, pointing to the staff table.

I looked up to see who she was referring to. There was an unfamiliar woman sitting next to Dumbledore, whispering into his ear. She had to be the person Hermione was talking about. I did not know who she was either.

"It's that Umbridge woman!" Harry cried.

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"She was at my hearing; she works for Fudge!"

"Nice cardigan," Ron said, smirking.

"She works for Fudge!" Hermione repeated, frowning. "What on earth's she doing here, then?"

"Dunno ..."

Hermione scanned the staff table, her eyes narrowed. "No," she muttered, "no, surely not ..."

I did not have time to ask her what she meant, for the first year students had lined up at the front and Professor McGonagall had placed the Sorting Hat on top of a stool.