Uncertain Future

Chapter 20: Uncertain Future

Dumbledore addressed the school at breakfast the next morning. He basically told us to leave Harry alone and not ask him what had happened in the maze. It was a fair enough request. Harry had been through a lot. I already knew everything, anyway.

I did not feel like talking to anyone those next few days, not even Draco. He tried to talk to me, though. He pulled me into an empty classroom after lunch on Monday.

"Well, did Potter tell you what happened?" he asked, his eyes piercing mine.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. I did not want to be talking about this. All I could think about was his father... "Yes," I said in a soft voice.

"Well?" Draco said with raised eyebrows. "Are you going to tell me?"

I shook my head stubbornly. "It's not for you to know."

Draco's eyes tightened. "Come on, Crystal. You can trust me."

"It's not that. It's just..." I searched around for the right words. "I'm sure we'll all find out soon. I don't want to talk about it."

My answer frustrated Draco, but I would not budge. He reluctantly parted from me.

I had not seen him again by the end of the year feast. I did not feel much like feasting, however. I stared at my plate and took tiny bites while I waited for Dumbledore to give his speech.

The room went silent as the headmaster stood up from the staff table. "The end," he said looking around at the students, "of another year." He paused, and his eyes fell upon the Hufflepuff table. "There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight, but I must first acknowledge the loss of a very fine person, who should be sitting here," he gestured toward the Hufflepuffs, "enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, and raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

I stood along with everyone else; I felt my heart tighten. We all raised our glasses and said, "Cedric Diggory." We sat down.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," Dumbledore continued. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

My body tensed. I could hear a panicked whisper spread throughput the hall. Some people were staring at Dumbledore in horror. I resisted the urge to look for Draco's reaction.

"The Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore said, "does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so - either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory."

I stared straight at Dumbledore, not daring to look anywhere else.

"There is somebody else who must be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," the headmaster said. "I am talking, of course, about Harry Potter. Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort. He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor him."

Dumbledore turned to Harry and raised his goblet. I did the same, along with most of the other students. I had to clench my teeth together to stop myself from shaking. I sputtered out Harry's name before sitting again.