Celebrations

Chapter 21: Celebrations

I felt better the next day. My parents did not ask again about what Harry has told me, and I was happy to not divulge the information. The Ministry of Magic would tell them everything they needed to know, right? I remembered Fudge's reaction to Harry's story, and I was not so sure. I quickly shook the feeling off. It was not my problem. It was the summer. It was time to relax and enjoy life.

I did not even realize it was the Fourth of July until my dad announced it at breakfast. How do you feel about setting off fireworks tonight?" he asked us.

I agreed to the idea, but thinking about it made me kind of sad. This would be my first Independence Day away from America. I suddenly felt very homesick.

"Why don't you put on a patriotic shirt?" my mom suggested. "It will get you in the mood."

I excused myself from the table to do just that. I found one of my old shirts; it was red with an American flag printed on it. I had only been able to wear it once at Hogwarts due to the strict dress code. Putting it on made me smile.

The rest of the day went pretty well. My family engaged in traditional American activities, and we talked and laughed about the good old times back in Minnesotans. By the time the fireworks arrived, I was feeling really good. I stood looking up at the magical display in awe.

An irony suddenly struck me. "We're celebrating America's independence from England while we're in England," I noted to my family.

Mom laughed. "I'm sure the British don't mind anymore."

Emily smirked. "But it's still funny."

Not long after, we all had to go back inside and get ready for bed. I was still missing my country, but the day had given me a lot of enjoyment. I pushed the looming future out of my mind. I would focus on the present and enjoy each day I was given.

***

I received a letter from Draco the next day. A black owl had flown into the room while I was eating breakfast with my mom and sisters. I smiled upon reading it. He wanted to meet me in two days at Regent's Park, which he said was near King's Cross Station. I had not been around London much, so I was not exactly sure where that was, but I knew I would be able to figure it out.

"Who's it from?" my Mom asked curiously.

"A friend from school," I said. I bit my lip in an attempt to hide a smile that was threatening to cover myself.

Emily saw through me, though, and she smirked. "Is it a boy?"

"Ooo..." Lizzie said with a grin.

I flushed. "Maybe..." I said awkwardly. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably.

"Are you dating someone?" Mom asked. She was looking at me with keen interest now.

I tried to find the right words to explain the situation. "Not exactly... I don't want to talk about it."

Emily stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder. "We'll talk later," she said before leaving the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes. I was sure we would. I too excused myself to prevent further interrogation.

***

Tuesday was my birthday. I was the only one in my family to have a summer birthday; everyone else's was during my spring term. I woke up to both of my sisters kneeling by my bed with cheeky grins on their faces. It was quite creepy to wake up to that, actually.