Suspicions and Tears

Chapter 48: Suspicions and Tears

Harry and Ron walked with me to breakfast the next morning. I did not want to talk about what Harry and I had heard the previous night. Luckily, he did not want to discuss it either. He was going home with the Weasleys for Christmas; he would probably wait to tell Ron until then. Hopefully, I would not be around.

I was trying to keep the previous night's events out of my mind, and I was pretty successful until I saw Snape standing in the Entrance Hall. His eyes landed on me when I approached, and I knew who he was waiting for. I saw Harry and Ron stiffen beside me.

"Miss Hansen," he said to me, ignoring the boys, "I wish to speak with you for a minute."

"I – I've got to eat so I can get on the train," I said. What I had heard scared me, and I was not ready to talk about it just yet. I knew what Harry would say about him, and I did not want him to be right.

"Please, Crystal," Snape said. "It will not take long."

I was startled by his use of my first name. All of our previous encounters entered my mind, and I realized I had to give him a chance to explain. "Ok," I said. I glanced at Harry, who had his eyes narrowed at Snape. "Go on. I'll be fine."

Harry looked like he was about to protest, but then he shut his mouth and walked into the Great Hall with Ron.

"Let's talk in my office," Snape said once we were alone.

I nodded wordlessly and followed him down the hall. For a minute, it occurred to me that he might be mad at me for eavesdropping. He had, after all, told me to stay out of it. Of course, he did not have much of a right to be the one who was angry if he was involved in all of this. I was still not sure what to think about it all.

I took my usual seat in Snape's office. This felt much different than our previous meetings, though; tension hung in the air. I looked down at my hands, unable to focus my attention anywhere else.

"Crystal," Snape said in a surprisingly gentle voice, "I need to know what you heard last night."

I remained silent. What did he want me to say? I really did not feel like repeating everything; it was hard enough trying to keep it all out of my head.

"Crystal," Snape said a little firmer, "will you look at me?"

My head snapped up. I had not wanted him to see the fear in my eyes, and now I would have to explain. "He's one of them," I said, barely above a whisper. I swallowed. "Draco is a- a-"

"A what?" Snape said. "Say it. Out loud. You were the one who wanted to know, now face the truth."

I shut my eyes tightly. No... Why did I have to want to know? Why could I not have just left everything alone, knowing I could not change anything? Somehow, though, it was better to know. It was better to face the truth. At least then I would know what I was up against. So I opened my eyes and said, "Death Eater. Draco is a Death Eater." Saying it made me shiver.

Snape's eyes seemed colder as he stared at me, but maybe it was just my imagination. "Very good," he said. "What else did you find out?"

I swallowed again. It was now easier to go on. "He's been given a task. Something hard." I remembered the necklace. "He's supposed to harm or possibly kill someone." My eyebrows scrunched up in thought. Hermione was right about something. "This doesn't make sense, though. Why Draco? He's too young, and I doubt he signed up for it. Why-"