Getting Deeper

Chapter 71: Getting Deeper

December brought on a light dusting of snow, which I found enjoyable to watch from the window. The days were growing colder, and it was not just because of the weather. I had a definite plan when I entered Severus' office with Draco. I was nervous; I knew neither of them were going to like the idea, especially my overprotective boyfriend. I had to try, though.

"Good evening," Severus said once we entered.

I nodded at him in acknowledgement. "Listen, we need to talk about Christmas."

"You're afraid confronting the Order?" Severus said. "You may stay at Hogwarts if that is the case."

I blinked. That was something I had never even thought about, but it was a good point. "That's not what I meant." I paused as I glanced at Draco, who was watching me calmly. "I – I want to go home with Draco."

Draco's eyes instantly narrowed. "I already told you, that won't work."

"We can make it work," I insisted. "Can we at least talk about?"

"Why do you want to go home with him?" Severus asked. He remained calm, but I could tell he was intrigued with my request. "You will be safe at Hogwarts."

"I – I don't think it's a god idea for us to be apart," I said. "Who knows what could happen in two weeks; we would spend the whole time worrying about each other, and we might give something away. Also, I want to talk to his parents. I think that if we teamed up, we might be able to get them to join our side."

"Not likely," Draco said, shaking his head.

I shot him a look. "You don't know that for sure. Isn't it worth trying?"

"Not if it gets you hurt," Draco growled. "You can't just waltz right into Death Eater headquarters like it's the Three Broomsticks."

"I can if I'm there to join them," I said.

For a minute, there was silence as both guys took in the meaning of my words. Draco was the first to react. "Have you lost your mind?!" he exclaimed. "You can't – Why – No!" He crossed his arms and glared at me angrily.

"Crystal, what is the meaning of this nonsense?" Severus said. "You do not want to become a Death Eater."

"No," I said, "but they don't have to know that. It's purely means to an end."

"You think you can just trick the Dark Lord and get away with it?" Draco said incredulously. "He'll kill you!"

"I know Occlumency,"

"That might not be good enough," Severus said. "For you to seem sincere in wishing to join our ranks, the Dar Lord will expect for you to let him into your mind. You will have to be able to manipulate your thoughts to deceive him. Which memories can you show him to prove your sincerity?"

"See? It won't work," Draco said.

I looked at him with raised eyebrows. "Do you think I could come up with a crazy idea like this and not have thought it through? Sure, I can act impulsively in the moment, but that's not one of my stronger Gryffindor traits." Draco still seemed angry, but he remained silent. I turned back to Severus, who I was sure would be the more level-headed of the two. "There are certain memories I can show him to get him to believe me. My reason for wishing to join does not have to be solely out of love for the mission, does it?"