Changes

Chapter 25: Changes

I was glad I had double Potions on Mondays; it would make them more bearable. I was not, however, looking forward to double Defense Against the Dark Arts right before dinner. My body was tense as I walked inside the classroom that first day. I wanted to sit back with the Slytherins like always, but somehow I doubted that was a good idea. I took a seat next to Hermione instead.

"Well, good afternoon!" Professor Umbridge said brightly once everyone had settled down.

A few people mumbled back a reply. I remained silent.

"Tut, tut," said Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afterno
on, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we chanted back at her.

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

While we obeyed, she took out her own wand and tapped on the board, causing words to instantly appear:

Defence Against the Dark Arts

A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" said Umbridge. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your OWL year.

"You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please." She tapped the board again, causing a new message to appear:

Course Aims:

1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.

2. Learning to recognise situations in which defensive magic can legally be used

3. Placing the use of defensive magic in a context for practical use.

After we copied down the message, Umbridge told us to read the first chapter of our books. I warily pulled out my book and flipped to the correct page. It was quite boring, actually. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Hermione with her hand in the air her book still closed. Umbridge was blatantly ignoring her.

Eventually, almost everyone was watching Hermione. Finally, Umbridge turned to her and said, "Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?"

"Not about the chapter, no," Hermione said.

"Well, we're reading just now," Umbridge said. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims," Hermione said.

Umbridge raised her eyebrows. "And your name is?"

"Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully," said Umbridge.

"Well, I don't," Hermione said bluntly. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"