Third Task

Chapter 19: Third Task

I actually woke up in time for breakfast on Saturday, June 5th. In fact, Hermione was the only other person in the dorm who was up. She was sitting on her bed brushing her hair. She seemed startled when she looked up. "Crystal," she said. "What are you doing up?"

I shrugged. "I'm hungry," I said, smiling mischievously. I could not tell her the real reason.

Hermione stared at me oddly. "Ok... good."

I skipped into the bathroom, humming to myself as I got ready. If Hermione had further suspicions about my strange behavior, she did not voice them. I dressed in a red tee-shirt and jeans. The clothes reminded me of America; they were comfortable.

When I was ready, I slipped my bag over my shoulder and headed to the Great Hall with Hermione. "Since you're up early, we can get some studying done," Hermione was saying.

I frowned as I tried to come up with an excuse to decline. It was nothing against her; I just already had plans. "Actually, I told my sister I'd spend the day with her," I said slowly.

Hermione blinked. "Oh? Well, that's ok. Family is important."

I smiled weakly. "Right." I felt bad about lying to her, but there was no way around her. I trusted her in general... just not about this specific issue. Even if she kept silent about it, I knew she would badger me about her opinion, which was something I did not need.

Ron and Harry were already sitting at the Gryffindor table, so we joined them. I did not say much as I ate quickly. I listened to my friends talk and smiled and nodded when appropriate. Finally, at the appropriate time, I excused myself and made my way to the Room of Requirements. Soon, I was safely inside.

"You're up early," Draco said with a smirk as he stood up from the couch and sauntered over to me.

"I know; you're a terrible influence on me," I said, smirking slightly as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Happy birthday, Draco."

Draco wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his forehead against mine. "Thank you," he murmured.

"Oh, I got you something," I said, pulling apart from him. "I got it at our last Hogsmeade trip." I opened my bag and searched through it, smiling when I found what I wanted. I help it up to him. It was a rope necklace with a silver eagle pendant.

Draco took the necklace and looked at it curiously. "An eagle?"

"It's my Patronus," I said. "I thought it could remind you of me, and no one would know what it means."

"You can conjure a Patronus?" Draco said, seeming impressed.

"Yes. They emphasize it in third year at my old school."

Draco slipped the necklace around his neck. Then he held up the pendant, looking at it. "You're an eagle?"

I smiled slightly. "Yep. Independent, free..."

"Daring? Bold?" Draco said, stepping close to me again.

I shivered as I looked up at him. "Yeah. Do you like it?"

"I love it," Draco whispered. "Thank you, Crystal." He leaned his head down and kissed me.

I kissed him back eagerly. After awhile, we both pulled away and stood there gazing into each other's eyes. It was at moments like this that I found it impossible to believe that anything could ever go wrong.