Effects

Chapter 76: Effects

I quickly readjusted back to life at Hogwarts. Surprisingly, I was not treated much differently than before I had become a Death Eater. Either the news had not spread like I thought it would or it did not really shock anyone. I was grateful for it nonetheless. I had become used to the hostile stares and looks I got in Gryffindor Tower, so I tried to avoid it as much as possible. It was mostly not an issue because I was usually with Draco.

Only the Slytherins with a Death Eater parent seemed to know about my new status as well. They had the sense to not mention it much, though that could have been because they did not want me to receive preferential treatment from the Carrows and not out of concern for negative treatment I may receive. Again, I was glad that everything was pretty much the same as always.

My sisters and old friends pretty much ignored me. I supposed this was better than having them show hatred, but it still left a bad feeling in my stomach. They surely all knew the truth, and I was a traitor in their eyes. There was nothing more I could do.

Draco and I were ready to report back to Severus the first Thursday that we returned. I found myself eager to talk about what I thought we had accomplished. Draco was more sullen, which was fine because we would be able to relate varying perspectives. I was sure Severus would be able to help us figure out where we should be heading in the future.

Out of habit, we were cautious in entering the secret passageway that led to the headmaster's office. I knocked when we arrived at the door. Then we walked in.

Severus had been doing something at his desk, but upon seeing us enter, he stood up and made his way towards us. "Good evening, Crystal, Draco."

"Good evening, sir," Draco said.

"'Evening," I added.

"I presume everything went well?" Severus said. Draco and I followed him back to his desk. The three of us sat down.

"As well as it could have gone," said Draco.

"No one suspects anything?"

I shook my head. "Bellatrix was one the one we had to really look out for, and she was relatively easy to avoid. There were no close calls."

Severus nodded. "Good." He fixated his eyes on Draco. "And what of your parents?"

Draco shifted in his seat. He was staring down at his lap. "My Mum is accepting of the idea of escape. I think she will join us."

"She just doesn't want to leave Lucius," I added, "who has been a lot harder to convince." I glanced at Draco. "I see where you get your stubbornness from."

Draco shot me a look. "Hey! Did it really take you that long to get through to me?"

I smirked. "Kind of."

"We don't have that kind of time," Draco muttered as he tore his gaze away.

"You will have to do what you can with the time you are given," Severus said. "It seems you are off to a good start. Your work is impressive."

I smiled slightly. "Thank you. Have you had any luck with travel plans?"

"I have looked into possibilities. A muggle airplane is going to be your best chance to escape."

I nodded. "That's what I thought."

"If I am careful, I will be able to order four tickets that do not have to be used at any specific time. The difficulty will come in getting all of you to the airport."