Understanding

Chapter 75: Understanding

Christmas break was coming to a close. I was generally satisfied with what I had accomplished so far. I had not expected to complete my mission over the course of two weeks. I knew I was going to have to give Lucius and Narcissa time to think about what had happened and what I had been said. I would be coming back soon for Easter break, though, and hopefully then I would be able to finish what I started.

There was one thing that was increasingly bothering me as the day of departure grew sooner. It was Friday now, and I was sitting on Draco's bed thinking hard. Snowflake hopped up onto the bed next to me and meowed. I stroked his back without looking at him or moving my position.

The door opened, and I guessed it was Draco who walked in. My guess was confirmed when he said, "What are you doing?"

I lifted my head to look at him. "Thinking." I hesitated before deciding I could talk to him about this. "I want to see Luna."

Draco's eyebrows flew up in surprise. "What? The prisoner?"

I nodded. "I want to talk to her."

Draco frowned, showing obvious disapproval. "I do not think that is a good idea. What if you give something away?"

I shook my head. "It doesn't matter. Luna wouldn't tell on us."

"There are other prisoners besides her," he said slowly.

"It would be their word against ours," I responded. When he still did not look happy, I added, "I can use a memory charm if this backfires. Can you just come with me and keep watch?" I did not want t go down to the cellar on my own in case Bellatrix decided to check up on the prisoners at the same time.

Draco let out a heavy sigh. "Fine," he said rather reluctantly. "Let's get this over with."

I gave him a small smile as I stood up. "Thank you."

"Meow."

I glanced at Snowflake, who was still sitting on the bed watching me curiously. "Sorry, but you're going to have to stay here," I said.

Draco opened the door for me, and we both stepped out into the hall. As we walked to the cellar, I went over what I wanted to say in my head. I hoped Luna would not be mad at me for what I had done, though I had never seen her angry before in my life. I was entirely unsure about what to expect now.

We had to take out our wands for light when we entered a dark passageway. We descended a steep flight of stairs, and I could see a heavy door at the bottom. "I'll stay here," Draco whispered. "There's nothing inside to protect you. Call me if you need help."

I nodded. I understood the risks. I would be powerless if the prisoners overpowered me and stole my wand. "I'll be fine." Draco helped me lift open the door, and then I slipped inside.

The cellar was dark and damp. My wand only gave enough light for me to see directly in front of me. My heart hammered in my chest as I searched for a sign of life. Maybe this had not been such a good idea after all. "Luna?" I said cautiously.

"Crystal?" came Luna's voice, and I saw a shadow moving closer. "Is that you?"

"Yes," I said with a weak smile. "How are you doing?"

Luna was standing right in front of me now. My wand gave her ace an eerie glow. She appeared calm and looked relatively taken-care of. "Just fine, thanks," she said politely. "It is nice of you to visit."