The Return

Chapter 62: The Return

September first did not come quickly enough. I was relieved when I woke up that morning. I was still not sure what was going to happen, but it had to be better than my current life. I got ready and then headed downstairs for breakfast. My family was already seated, eating cereal and drinking coffee (a habit developed in America).

"Crystal, you should look at the paper," Emily said, pushing the Daily Prophet to the edge of the table.

"I don't want to," I said. "I've heard enough bad news already." I did not want to hear about anything else the Death Eaters had done.

"No, you really need to read it," Emily said.

I sighed and walked over so that I could pick up the paper. I was surprised to see a picture of Snape staring up at me beneath this headline:

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED

AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

My eyes grew wide. I quickly scanned the article:

Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. "I welcome the opportunity to uphold our finest Wizarding traditions and values..."

"Wow," I said with some disbelief. "This is great!" I lowered the paper and noticed that my family was staring at me. They clearly thought I was insane. "No, it's goo. Snape can protect the school without Voldemort knowing because he thinks he's on his side!"

My parents exchanged looks. "Crystal, Snape is on his side," my father said.

"No, I already told you, you're wrong," I insisted.

"At least this means he won't be teaching," my mom said. "You won't have as much contact with him."

I frowned but kept silent. I would be having as much contact with him as I wished.

"The Carrows are Death Eaters as well," my dad said. "Be wary of them. I would not be surprise if there is little 'defense' in Defense Against the Dark Arts this year."

I was troubled by his words. Death Eaters? This was not going to be good. I wondered if I had seen them before. More importantly, had they ever seen me?

***

We traveled to King's Cross with the Weasley's, which consisted of Ginny and her parents along with George and Fred. We separated into our families to say goodbye once we reached the platform. "Take care of yourselves," my dad said to my sisters and me. "Try to stick together when you can."

"I know," Emily said. "We'll be fine."

"Write to us if you have any problems," said my mom.

"Ok," Emily agreed.

"Crystal," Dad said, "don't get into trouble."

I frowned at this command. "Define 'trouble.'"

Dad gave me a hard look. "You know what I mean. It's your last year; make the best of it."

The five of us hugged each other. I turned and saw that Ginny was ready to leave. There was one more thing I had to do, though. I stepped up to the twins, giving them a small smile. "Goodbye," I said. I hugged Fred first and then George; George held on a few seconds longer before letting me go. I could see the worry in his eyes, and I tried to find a way to reassure him. "I'll be fine."