Plan in Motion

Chapter 73: Plan in Motion

Dinner was awkward and uncomfortable. We were all seated at the end of a long table. Draco and I were on one side while Lucius, Narcissa, and Bellatrix were on the other. There was hardly any talking at all expect for the occasional pro-Voldemort and anti-muggle remarks from Bellatrix. The food was really, good though. Still, I was glad when I was allowed to leave.

Draco and I walked back to his room together in silence. Only once we were safely inside with the door closed did either of us dare to speak. "What do we do now?" Draco asked.

I walked over to the bed and sat down. Snowflake immediately came over to me and sat in my lap. I absentmindedly stroked his back. "We can't do anything too soon," I said. "If we get into an argument, it could end everything. Let's start with actions first."

Draco blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Treat them the way I've treated you from the begging," I said. "Treat them kindly and answer any questions if they come to us. Just show them love."

"That's easy for you to say," Draco said, crossing his arms. "You don't know my parents." He paused. "My father, more like it. This might work on my mother."

I let out a short sigh. "Just try, ok? He might surprise you."

Draco looked away, and I could tell he was not convinced. "Fine. I'll do it for you."

I wished he would do it for his father, but I would have to take what I could get. For now, I decided it was best to call it a day. "Can I take a shower?"

Draco's face softened at the change of subject, and he nodded. He pointed to a door to his right. "That leads to a bathroom with a tub and shower. I'll find somewhere else to get ready."

I nodded. "Ok. Thanks." I quickly found my bathroom supplies in my luggage, and then I moved in the direction Draco had indicated.

Draco was gone when I returned to the room. I took the chance to get out Snowflake's bowl and feed him for the night. He ran over immediately, obviously appreciating the thought. Then I found a good novel and hopped on the bed to read.

I looked up when I heard the door creak opened. Draco entered, closing the door behind him, and I gave him a small smile. He was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and sweatpants. I had never seen him dressed so casually.

"I'm sorry about this," He said, motioning to the bed. "My aunt... she makes assumptions. I can sleep on the floor if you would be more comfortable."

"That's alright," I said, though I smiled at the offer. He really could be sweet without even realizing it. "There's room for both of us." As I set my book on the end table, I wondered if I should be giving this more thought, but I was too tired to think about it. I moved over so that I was fully on the left side of the bed, and I got under the covers.

Draco seemed to be the one who was uncomfortable as he climbed into the right side of the queen bed. He laid his head on the pillow and turned to look at him, appearing as if he did not know what he was supposed to do. "Er, good night," he said somewhat awkwardly.

I, on the other hand, felt perfectly at ease, and I smiled at him. "Good night, Draco."

***

I awoke feeling better than I had in a long time. Without opening my eyes, I lay there wondering about this until reality settled in. I was in Draco's house... in his bed. And I was a Death Eater.