Hiding Tension

Chapter 16: Hiding Tension

Saturday afternoon, I found myself outside gazing out at the Black Lake. It seemed different knowing that this was where the second task had taken place. I wondered what it was like to be down there for an hour. What kind of creatures lay beneath? I had seen mermaids when Harry had returned. I would have to remember to ask him what exactly he saw while under the water.

"Why are you so preoccupied with this lake?" a voice said form behind me.

I spun around, smiling when I saw Draco. Not many people were around because it was still chilly outside. Draco adorned a coat and a Slytherin scarf. I only wore a light jacket. Minnesota was colder than this, so I was used to the weather. "It reminds me of home," I explained. "Minnesota is known as the 'land of 10,000 lakes.'" I smiled. "We have them all over the place. Water is calming to me. Looking at the lake makes me feel like everything is going to be alright."

Draco stepped closer to me. "Do you miss Minnesota?"

I nodded. "Of course I do. I haven't seen much of Britain at all because most of my time has been spent at Hogwarts, so I haven't had much of a chance to get used to the culture."

Draco titled his head to the side slightly, seeming to consider this. "Will you move back home after you graduate?"

I frowned. "I don't know," I admitted. "I honestly haven't thought about it much. I suppose it depends on what my life is like when the time comes to decide. Three and a half years can change a lot."

Draco turned his head and peered out at the lake. "I think it would be interesting to visit the States. Get a change of scenery. Be able to evaluate which is really superior."

"America is great," I said brightly. "Especially Minnesota, though I may be biased. I would love to show you around sometime."

Draco looked at me. His gaze was intense yet kind. "I would like that."

I smiled, pleased at his answer. The topic brought a question of my own to mind. "Do you know what type of career you would like after Hogwarts?"

Draco furrowed his eyebrows in thought. "I don't know," he said. "My father seems to expect me to get some job with the Ministry." He looked away and shrugged.

I frowned. He had never talked to me about his family. I had avoided the subject because of how our fathers hated each other. Now, however, curiosity was prickling me. What kind of relationship did Draco exactly have with his father? I knew I could not ask directly, however. At least not yet. I decided to start with something simple. "What about what you want?"

Draco looked up at the sky; his body was slightly turned away from me. "I used to have dreams about playing Quidditch – I've been seeker for Slytherin since first year – but that is probably not going to happen." He turned back to me and smiled grimly. "I suppose I have some time to figure it out."

I nodded slowly. "Right."

"What about you? Which path do you plan to pursue?"

I blinked, not expecting him to bring the question back on me. I was ready to answer, however. "I want to be a potions master."

Draco smirked. "Right. You are the best at potions in our class. Professor Snape still can't get over it." He chuckled. "You really should have been in Slytherin."

"This school would not have been able to handle me in Slytherin," I said with a smirk of my own.

Draco laughed. "That's probably true." His smile fell and he grew more serious. "But then we would have been able to let everyone know we are together." He stepped forward and brushed his hand against mine.