Fire

"Break their hold
'Cause I won't be controlled
They can't keep their chains on me
When the truth has set me free

This is how it feels when you take your life back
This is how it feels when you finally fight back
When life pushes me, I push harder
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger
"

– "Not Gonna Die" by Skillet

Chapter 79: Fire

Just like Severus predicted, the students were woken up late in the night and asked to meet in the Great Hall. I quickly got dressed and followed my housemates down the hall. I was glad that most of them were sleepy, for I had to sit with them at the Gryffindor table, which I had not done since I "joined" the Slytherins.

I glanced at the Slytherin table, but Draco was not looking at me. I checked my bag to make sure I had my plane tickets, Felix Felicis, and Phoenix tears. Satisfied, I looked up to where the teachers had gathered. Professor McGonagall stepped up to the raised podium and began to speak:

"Hogwarts is under attack. Lord Voldemort is preparing to search the school for Harry Potter, who has returned." Murmurs and several large gasps broke out through the Hall, which McGonagall ignored. "Students will be evacuated to Hogsmeade, where you will be assisted in Apparating to a safe place. Evacuation will be overseen by Mr. Filch and Madame Pomfrey. Prefects, when I give the word, you will organize your House and take your charges in orderly fashion to the evacuation point."

Ernie stood up from the Hufflepuff table and shouted: "And what if we want to stay and fight?" A loud applause followed.

"If you are of age, you may stay," said Professor McGonagall.

"What about our things?" called a girl at the Ravenclaw table. "Our trunks, our owls?"

"We have no time to collect possessions," McGonagall said. "The important thing is to get you out of here safely."

"Where's Professor Snape?" a girl shouted from the Slytherin table.

"He has, to use the common phrase, done a bunk," McGonagall replied, and a great cheer erupted from the Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaws while I glowered in my seat. I turned when I heard whispering. Harry was walking along the tables! "We have already placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold for very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, therefore, to move quickly and calmly, and do as your prefects-"

She was interrupted by a voice that echoed throughout the Hall: "I know that you are preparing to fight." There were screams amongst the students, some of whom clutched each other, looking around in terror for the source of the sound. "Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

Voldemort, I realized with a shiver.

"Give me Harry Potter," said Voldemort's voice, "and they shall not be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight."

Silence enveloped the hall as every head turned to look at Harry. Then I heard a voice I recognized as Pansy's scream: "But he's there! Potter's there. Someone grab him!"

Then most of the Gryffindors rose and stood in front of Harry, facing the Slytherins. My heart hammered in my chest as I slunk in my seat. Then the Hufflepuffs stood, followed by the Ravenclaws, imitating the Gryffindors' actions in opposing Pansy. Then wands started to come out to protect Harry. A lump formed in my throat at the scene. It looked to me like it was everyone against Slytherin. They had not even been given a chance. They were children...