The Black Rose

Chapter 39: The Black Rose

"What do you think you were doing?" Dad said in a hard tone when I approached with Snowflake around my shoulders. "You know Lucius Malfoy was arrested as a Death Eater?"

"I know, I was there," I growled. I really did not want to be talking about this. I did not want to have to explain myself.

"You're not still dating that boy, are you?" Mom asked with concern in her voice.

"Can we just go?" I picked up my bags and began to walk forward.

"What is that around your neck?" Dad said, disapproval lacing his words. "We need answers, Crystal. What were you doing over there?"

When I realized they were not following me, I dropped my bags and spun around. My sisters were giving me worried looks, and my parents were obviously not pleased. I let out a short sigh. "Yes, I'm still dating Draco. He gave me this a year ago." I flipped the pendant over to briefly show them the Gryffindor side. "I was just over their offering him and his mom my support because they will be needing it." I crossed my arms and stared at the ground angrily.

My mother gasped. "Crystal! I can't believe you. We told you to stay away from that family."

"We're very disappointed in you," my father added. "I thought we raised you better."

I lifted my head at this, my eyes flashing in anger. "You taught me how to love, and that's exactly what I'm doing."

"But – him?" Mom said, her eyes wide.

"Yeah, I thought you taught me that love was unconditional, or did I pick that up somewhere else?" I stared at them challengingly, daring them to refute me.

"Love does not mean you put yourself in danger!" Dad nearly exclaimed. "They follow You-Know-Who. In these dark times, we have to be careful who we trust. We can't afford to be reckless."

"I'm not being reckless!" I retorted. "I can trust Draco!"

"Then you are blinded by emotion."

"No!" I cried out. I was tired of people attributing that to my motives. Could they not see that it was something much bigger than that? "I love him. Not because of my emotions. For him."

"I thought you were a better judge of character," Mom said.

I groaned loudly. Why did I even try? It was impossible to get through to them. "You don't understand."

"We're trying," Dad said more calmly, "but we need to make sure you're safe. We're going to have to punish you."

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered. "I don't care anymore."

"Crystal!" Mom said with a gasp. "That's no way to talk to you parents!"

I thought glaring at her would not make a better impression, so I averted my gaze to the ground. "It's just the truth. You can do whatever you want to me, but you can't stop me from loving Draco."

"We should go," Emily interrupted hesitantly. "Everyone else is gone."

"Thank you, Emily," Dad said with a nod. "Crystal, we'll talk about this at home."

"Can't wait," I mumbled. This was going to be a long summer.

***

The first week passed by rather uneventfully. My parents reprimanded me again, but I did not fight back this time. I had lost the will to retaliate. I knew I was right; what more did I have to prove? They forbid me to go anywhere alone except to the Weasley's, which did not matter much to me, anyone. Draco and I could not see each other. I spent much of the time alone, reading and writing. I tried to keep away the thoughts that threatened to haunt me.