02

Steve and I walked to the nurse's desk shortly after Bucky left. 

"I'd like to enlist." Steve tells her politely. She looks him up and down before hesitantly grabbing a clipboard. 

"Fill this out first." 

Steve nods and takes the board from her before we sit in the chairs across the room from the desk. 

"Ohio? Really Steve?" I ask, arching an eyebrow as I look at how he's filling in the form. He nods his head in response. We're silent as Steve finishes filling out the form.

"Right this way." the nurse says to us after Steve hands her his filled out form. She leads us down the hall to one of the exam rooms. 

"A doctor will be with you shortly." she informs us before walking out of the room.

Steve sits on the examination bed while I take a seat in one of the chairs along the wall opposite the curtain used to give the room privacy. We only have to wait for a minute before a doctor walks into the room.

He stands silently at the counter, looking over Steve's enlistment form. However, before he says anything to us, another nurse walks into the room. As she quietly tells the doctor something, I share a look with Steve.

'You shouldn't have done this.' my look says. Steve mouths me a 'sorry' as the doctor turns around to face us. 

"Wait here." he mutters before going to leave the room. 

"Is there a problem?" I ask, worry lacing throughout my voice.

Steve cannot get caught.

"Just wait here." the doctor says before leaving the room. Right after he leaves, a soldier steps into the room. I glance at Steve before getting up and standing next to him, ready to defend him. Moments later, an older man steps into the room and mutters a quiet "Thank you." to the soldier. The soldier nods his head before he steps out of the room. 

"So, you want to go overseas? Kill some Nazis." the new man says after a few quiet minutes. 

"Excuse me?" Steve says, shocked. 

"Where are you from Mr. Rogers? Mmm? Is it New Haven? Or Paramus? Five exams in five different cities." he asks Steve.

"That might not be the right file." I laugh nervously, trying to get Steve out of here without him going to jail for forging his enlistment forms. 

"No, it's not the exams I'm interested in. It's the five tries." the man says, addressing me.

"But you didn't answer my question. Do you want to kill Nazis?" he says, this time, addressing Steve. 

"Is this a test?" Steve asks carefully. 

"Yes." the man responds quickly, folding his hands in front of him and leaning back against the counter. 

"I don't wanna kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from." Steve admits, glancing at me. 

The man, who I'm assuming is a doctor, nods before saying, "Well, there are already so many big men fighting this war. Maybe what we need now is the little guy, huh?"

He then pauses for a moment before continuing to say, "I can offer you a chance. Only a chance."

"I'll take it!" Steve says eagerly, not even bothering to look at me. I reach over and slap his arm. He turns and glares at me. 

"What?" he whispers. 

"Are we not going to talk about this?" I whisper back, ignoring the doctor's stare.