20

Pain. That was all Charlotte felt when she groggily opened her eyes. She slowly glanced around the snowy white wilderness above her before she tried to push herself into a sitting position. When her left hand didn't make contact with the ground like she wanted, she glanced down at it, only to wish she hadn't.

The snow was stained a vivid ruby color that had slowly begun to turn a dark mahogany color from the lack of oxygen the blood cells were receiving. Charlotte's left arm was crumpled in a pile a few feet away from where Charlotte sat. All that remained of her arm on her body was a little more than her shoulder.

The amount of blood, her blood, around her made Charlotte light headed and nauseous. Slowly, she laid back down on the ground, only to loose consciousness from the amount of blood loss. 

The next time she regained consciousness, she could feel herself being dragged across the frozen ground. Her head rolled backwards as she once again lost consciousness.

What felt like weeks later, Charlotte woke up once more. Not liking the feeling of being numb when she woke up, she decided to take in her surroundings. The stale, white room she was in smelled heavily of chlorine. She lifted her head slightly and took note of all the men standing in the room, not one paying the slightest bit of attention to her. They all wore the same stainless white lab coats that seemed to blend into the color scheme of the room.

Then, the feeling slowly began to return to her body. She regained feeling starting in her toes. It worked it's way up her body until she could feel herself wiggle her toes and fingers. The weirdest thing to her, though, was that she could wiggle the fingers on her left hand. She could have sworn that her left arm had been left in the ravine.

She hoped with all her heart now that that had all been a dream. She hoped enough for a lifetime that she was in a recovery room back at the camp with Steve and Bucky waiting in chairs outside for the doctors to allow them in to see her.

But, she knew that was all fiction. What had happened to her was real, but that didn't explain how she could move her left hand. Cautiously, she raised her left arm. The light shining off the silver metal momentarily blinded Charlotte. A quiet gasp of shock left Charlotte's mouth as she realized that this, the shiny, silver metal, made up her new left arm. 

As she played with her new arm and wasn't paying attention, the doctors noticed she was awake. They formed a loose circle around her operating table. They had been instructed to leave her where she was, in case she never woke up. Although now that she had, the doctors began gathering information on how she was acting. 

One of the doctors took a step too close to Charlotte, startling her. Her metal hand shot out towards him in a manner of self defense. She instinctively wrapped her fingers around his throat and squeezed. Without knowing her own strength, Charlotte released him seconds later. He was dead before his head hit the floor.

The doctors were on high alert now. She had woken up more unstable than they thought.

"Go get Zola." one of them whispered to the one closest to the door. The doctor rapidly nodded his head before he tore out of the room like a bullet in search of the doctor in charge of Charlotte's experiments.

"Doctor Zola, she has woken up." the doctor informed Zola, speaking hastily in German. The news piqued Zola's interest. He spun around on his heels before he nodded for the doctor to lead the way back to the experiment lab. 

"Ah, Charlotte Rogers, it is so nice to see you awake." Zola spoke softly as he stood out of reach of the girl. Charlotte nervously glanced around the room at the other doctors. She knew what her last mission had been. To retrieve him and stop him from getting back to the Red Skull. She was scared beyond belief now that Steve, Bucky, and herself had failed their mission and gotten captured.

She thrashed against the restraints holding her down, trying to get to either Steve or Bucky.

"Relax, Fräulein. Your friends are not here." Zola smiled sadistically at her. Her eyes widened. What did he mean they weren't here? Obviously if she was here, that meant Steve and Bucky had to be close.

"I'm afraid they have gotten themselves into a predicament. You see, they tried saving the world, when it was already doomed from the start. Their foolish American ideas got them killed." Zola continued as he walked a steady pace around Charlotte's bed, examining her.

Charlotte stayed silent. She knew he was lying just to get into her head. Or, was he? They could be dead for all she knew. She had no memory of how she got here or how long she had been here. It could have been days, weeks, months, even years. Once more, Zola smiled down at her as he came to a stop at her right side. He was proud of his wonderful new creation.

"You will turn into a great weapon, I can sense it already. You see, dear Charlotte, you are to be the new face of HYDRA."