37

Steve and Bucky continued to stare at the soldier, still in complete shock. Neither one could move, not even when the soldier pulled out a gun and aimed it at Steve. The only thing that saved Steve was Sam flying in and ramming into the soldier, knocking her to the ground.

But the soldier wasn't phased. She rolled over and quickly pushed herself back into a standing position. However, as she stared at the blonde and the brunette standing in front of her, she could have sworn she knew them from somewhere. Her eyes flicked to the ground in confusion before she made up her mind.

She had to do this, she had to protect herself. She pointed the gun once again at the men, except this time she focused on the heavily bleeding brunette. Neither one of her targets made a move to fight back, which confused her even more. Just minutes ago they had been fighting for their lives. Now they were statues.

The soldier wondered what had changed. Had they finally realized they couldn't beat her? That they would lose and die anyways? The answer didn't matter to her, though. Her finger itched against the trigger. Just as she began to put pressure on the mechanism that would end the brunette's life, and shortly after the blonde's, she was stopped again.

A different trigger had been pulled, alerting her two targets and forcing them to duck. It was the red-head. She fired the soldier's own grenade launcher at her. The soldier ducked and rolled out of the way just as the bomb collided with a truck that the soldier had been standing in front of. 

Then, sirens could be heard. The soldier knew exactly who it was, so she used this time to run. Her targets were in the hands of Rumlow now, so she was no longer of use. She sprinted back to the facility, only pausing outside the doors to think the situation over.

I know them, I know I do. I just don't know their names. Or how I would know them. 

Then, an idea dawned on her.

Maybe, just maybe, they know how I know them. I'm sure they would tell me. 

Right?

---

Back at the scene, Steve and Bucky were still shell shocked. They had, quite literally they thought, seen a ghost. Natasha and Sam each took a step in their direction, but were stopped when Rumlow and other STRIKE agents arrived.

"Drop the shield, Captain! On your knees! Get on your knees! Now! Get down! Get down!"

Steve slowly leaned down and placed his shield on the ground while he and Bucky hesitantly raised their arms. Neither one was really processing what was going on, that function had gone out the window the moment they saw Charlotte was still alive.

Bucky winced as he raised his left arm, blood still seeping out of his wound. But, adrenaline and confusion clouded his senses so he didn't really notice it. Behind and in front of them, Natasha and Sam raised their arms as well as STRIKE agents arrested the four of them.

"Get on your knees! Down!" Rumlow shouted in Steve's ear before he kicked the back of his rigid knee, sending him to the ground. Another agent did the same to Bucky. All around them, sirens and the whir of helicopter blades blurred together.

Ignoring what Rumlow was yelling, Steve and Bucky shared one glance that expressed everything they felt in that situation.

Charlotte is alive. And we have to help her. 

---

Inside the facility, the Winter Soldier sat blankly as a mechanic fixed her arm. As he worked, the soldier couldn't help the flow of memories flooding her mind.