36

As the agents with the Winter Soldier prepared her for the next round of battle, Bucky grabbed the collar of Natasha's jacket and pulled her to the ground behind the safety of an abandoned car. Across the road, Sam did the same. As the Winter Soldier began to shoot at her targets, Bucky and Natasha each pulled out their own hand guns.

Bucky took a position at the front end of the car while Natasha took hers at the back end of the car. They both fired at the soldier, earning her attention.

"Shit." Bucky cursed under his breath as she started shooting at them. Natasha's eyes widened before she turned and watched Bucky dive over the barrier between the two sides of the road, leaving her to fend for herself. Quickly, she rolled backwards towards the car that was left behind the one she had previously been hiding behind.

Once on the other side of the barrier, Bucky somersaulted across the road to avoid being hit by a car before standing up and rolling over the hood of the next. The agents escorting the Winter Soldier never ceased their fire, nor did the soldier take her eyes off the fleeing brunette.

As he ran behind a car, the soldier once again lifted up her gun and took a shot at her target. The bomb hit the car, causing it to explode in a blast of bright orange. This sent Bucky flying over the railing. As Bucky fell, he fired the grappling hook he always kept with him just in case he needed it. He stole the idea from Natasha.

The hook then connected with the underside of the highway, slowing Bucky's descent towards the ground. As he neared the ground, he landed on his feet skillfully before he took off at a run, staying under the safety of the highway bridge.

Meanwhile, Natasha had raced back across the road to join Sam while the HYDRA agents and the Winter Soldier were distracted. She hurriedly instructed Sam to go back and get his gear while they were still distracted, which they both knew wouldn't be for very much longer. Sam nodded his head before he took off, headed in the direction of his ruined car. Natasha pulled out a second hand gun in order to cover him.

Steve had yet to really face the wrath of the Winter Soldier as he was trying to get people out of the bus he crashed into and to safety as fast as he could.

The soldier was only focused on killing her first target before she could focus on the other two, more dangerous targets. After the car exploded, the soldier lowered the launcher before she stalked over to the railing, handing off the launcher and taking a rifle from one of the agents with her. Holding the gun at eye level with practiced precision and speed, she scanned over the ground, looking for any sign of the brunette man.

On the ground, Bucky could see the soldier's shadow and knew exactly what she was doing. A plan then began to form in his head. He knew it was a little risky, but he thought he might as well try it anyways.

Bucky waited until the soldier had stopped looking for him and instead had set her sights on the overturned bus before he stepped out of the shadows and shot randomly in the soldier's direction. 

A bullet connected with the soldier's goggles, startling her. She rapidly pulled away from the edge and slid down to sit against the wall in order to keep herself safe. With her bare hand, the soldier pulled the splintered goggles off her face before tossing them to the side. Her striking blue eyes stared at the agents watching her for a moment before she shot back into action.

The Winter Soldier shoved herself off the wall, and in a rage of fury, began rapid firing at the ground below. What she didn't know was that Bucky had taken the opportunity to run out from under the bridge and instead he was crouched behind an overturned car in the middle of the street. Cautiously, Bucky leaned out of the safety the car's shadows provided and began firing up at the Winter Soldier once more.