41

"Ready Buck?" 

"Ready as I'll ever be." 

The two best friends clapped each other on the back as a sign of support and understanding as they stood on a hill just on the edge of the Triskelion's boundaries. Agent Hill stood next to them as did Sam Wilson, the pair's new best friend.

"Don't worry guys, I'm ready too." Sam piped up. Steve chuckled lightly while Bucky just sent a light glare Sam's way.

"Would you three shut up and get on with it already?" Agent Hill interrupted impatiently. The three men shared a look before they led the way towards SHIELD headquarters. Steve led the way through the maze of hallways until they finally reached their destination: Project Insight HQ.

"Time to work your magic, Hill." Steve spoke quietly as he, Bucky, and Sam all stood at the ready behind the door. Agent Hill nodded before she began to tamper with the tech crew's ear pieces. Suddenly, although not surprisingly, the door flew open to reveal a non-armed tech agent standing behind it.

His mouth dropped open in shock as he stared down the barrels of three different guns.

"Excuse us." Steve asked politely. With a firm nod, the agent moved out of the way and allowed the four of them into the room. Steve strode over to the desk that bolstered a large microphone, one that he knew would allow him to communicate with everyone in the Triskelion by way of intercoms.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there." 

Steve paused there, not quite sure how to continue. Bucky, however, knew the perfect way to continue. So, he hip bumped Steve out of the way and took his place behind the microphone.

"If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know that we're asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price we're willing to pay. And if we're the only ones, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet we're not."

From across the room, Sam scoffed as he shook his head in amusement.

"Did you two write that down first and practice it, or was it off the top of your heads?" he inquired, an eyebrow arched as he waited for an answer.

"We're just poetic. You wish you could be like us." Bucky replied, a smirk ghosting across his lips before Maria interrupted them. 

"C'mon guys, we have a mission. Let's go."

The trio silently followed Maria out into the hall as she led them towards an exit door they passed on the way in.

"This door will lead you straight to the helicarriers. Good luck and don't hurt yourselves." Maria announced as they came to a stop in front of the door. She nodded her head at all of them before she turned on her heel and walked back they way they came.

Once Maria was out of sight, the trio pushed the door open and walked through it into the next hallway. Just seconds after entering the hallway, their comms crackled in their ears as Maria began to speak.

"They're initiating launch."

"Goddammit." Bucky muttered as the three of them picked up their pace to look out the nearest window. Sure enough, they could clearly see the three helicarriers beginning to rise into the sky.