4

Chapter 4: A Twist Of Fate

{D. K}

        Sophie guided Elijah and Dakota along the dirt path outside the Quarter, the ground was sloshing underneath their feet and sprinkling their shoes with its wetness. She opened the iron gate that creaked the wider it opened. Dakota and Sophie passed with ease but Elijah looked up in surprise as his foot wasn't able to pass the barrier. "This is sacred ground," The witch explained, resolving some of his confusion. "Which means vampires need to be invited in. But since I'm desperate. Come on in. " Elijah stepped past cautiously, his tan dress shoes getting darker in color as the wet ground got on them. "We can talk freely here."

        Elijah looked far too dressed for a cemetery, his navy blue suit making him look very attractive with his hands tucked comfortably in his pockets. "Then I suggest you begin talking. What is your business with my family?"

        "Excuse me?"

        "What did your sister want with Niklaus?"

        Sophie was changed from her work clothes, her hair freed from its tribal printed scarf that once held it back. "Isn't it obvious? We have a vampire problem, and we need his help. Marcel has an army backing him up. The witches have been trying to fight back, but we haven't had much luck until now." The slim woman looked directly at Dakota, her small dark brown eyes filling up with hope. "Jane-Anne talked to one of her friends, Quinn who died in Mystic Falls to be on the Other Side to find Dakota when she died. Her job was to make her human, which worked."

         Elijah averted his gaze to Dakota in unspoken shock, this having been the first time hearing about the news of her death, revival, and new status as a human. "I suppose I've been left out of the loop for quite some time."

         Dakota snorted, not really responding to him. Instead, she remained fixated in Sophie's previous words. "Jane knew about Quinn?"

         "Yes," She revealed. "And earlier tonight she died casting a spell ensuring that you would be the one to help us defeat Klaus."

         "You mean she took me out there tonight, knowing full well that she wasn't going to make it out?"

         Sophie's head nodded up and down, looking away after a moment. "Quinn kept us updated on you after the veil dropped and told us that you and Klaus spent some time together. Jane-Anne rushed the process a bit to make sure it would work and I guess it did."

          Dakota's eyes were half-lidded as she looked at the witch before her. "To make sure that what would work?"

          "Dakota, you're pregnant. With Klaus' baby."

           "I hear what you're saying, Sophie. I do. I'm just telling you that it's impossible. Vampires can't procreate."

           "You're right," She agreed. "—but werewolves can, and so can humans."

           Dakota shook her head in denial, a hand place on her hip with the other rubbed her head. "Even when I was human, I couldn't get pregnant."

           "You're do-over wish with Quinn redid everything, even that."

           A tidal wave of emotions fell over Dakota, for over nine centuries she didn't have to worry about having children even though in the back of her mind, all she ever wanted was a family. A stable one that stuck together and never even thought twice about protecting one another at then mention of danger, that was all she wanted, and now she was a piece of that puzzle but she wasn't even sure she could handle it.

          Elijah looked down at Dakota who stood beside him in the small cave that was lit by lanterns and decorated with voodoo dolls, paintings on the rocks and other small decorations the witches added over the years. He took ahold of her hand, giving it the gentle squeeze she needed. "Will you give us a moment please."

           It wasn't a question, it was an order and Sophie followed it quickly, moving quite a few feet away to give the Original and his future sister-in-law the space they needed. "'lijah, this can't be happening. I'm not pregnant. I can't be, I'm not ready to be a mom. I've killed countless people and I liked it, what kind of mother would I be if I brought a child into this world with all of that on my shoulders?"

          He shushed her gently, holding her body close to his own, using one strong hand to rub her back and the other to run his fingers through her knotted hair. "Dakota, not once in my thousand years have I ever seen my brother as happy as he is when he's with you. I've seen him be completely selfless when you're around, putting his own needs aside to attend to yours. I can only imagine the glee when he finds out your pregnant, being even happier when he realizes you'll be the mother to raise his child."

          Dakota raised her head from the crook in his neck, eyes wide as she finally accepting the information. "Are you sure?"

          "I've never been more sure."

          "I'm glad you feel that way," Sophie's voice interrupted, effectively coming back into the conversation and ending the moment of space she gave the two. "While I'm sorry for lying to you, Dakota. You and this baby is our only hope and I'll do anything to gain the freedom me and the other witches deserve."

          Dakota waved her off, less interested in her apologies and more worried about the plan that Sophie seemed to have. "What's your plan, Sophie. I only assume you have one since you seemed to be satisfied with how this all worked out. What else do you got up your sleeve?"

          "All we want is to run Marcel and his vampires out of town. Klaus is the key. Everything Marcel knows about being a vampire is from Klaus." Sophie nods her head, assuring herself of the words coming from her mouth. "Marcel trusts him. Looks up to him. He won't see the betrayal coming."

Dakota laughed at the final words. "While your plan is nearly perfect, I'll have to burst your bubble and tell you that my boyfriend isn't a fan of being told to do."

"Which is why you and this baby are my leverage. You back out, Klaus too, we'll kill the baby and make you a vampire that's stuck in a veil back in Mystic Falls."

Elijah's jaw clenched. "You just made an awful mistake threatening my family."

"Like I said. I'm desperate."

A/N

Oh my god guys, I'm finally getting a good feel of the story and what I want to happen during it. I'm so excited, I can't wait for you guys to see what I have planned for you. I'm praying that you all will like it.

Please comment and like.

Love Cece