36

A/N: Alr guys, time to see the Klaus' reaction towards all of this whole marriage thing. This is different, and a much more emotional side of Klaus that he very rarely allows one to see, I hope you like.

 This is different, and a much more emotional side of Klaus that he very rarely allows one to see, I hope you like

Chapter 36: Bend At My Will

{K. M}

Klaus' hands rubbed against the denim of his jeans, his plump bottom lip captured harshly between his teeth. His right leg jumped up and down furiously as he sat tense on his leather couch in the safe confines of his personal office.

"I take it she still hasn't given you an answer," Elijah walked in, finding a sick pleasure in watching his brother worry and it was shown by a small smile on his face. It was a pleasant change, his younger brother seeming more childlike as his blue eyes were wide with worry.

"What if she says no?"

Elijah shrugs gently, stopping in the middle of the room. "Have a little faith," He advises. "Dakota is a smart woman and she's stayed by you for a very long time, she's even having your child. I don't
think asking for her hand in marriage will be too much for her to handle."

         "He's right," A light voice spoke from behind them, startling Klaus to the point where he stood tall, his stance tending at the sight of his woman.

         The oldest brother looked between them both before shaking his head with a small smile. "I'll leave you to it."

         "Are you saying no?" Klaus questions defensively the moment Elijah exits. "Is that why you've come?"

         "No," Dakota retorts, walking to him slowly and it was then that Klaus now saw the ring on her finger rather than in the box. "I'm saying yes. I will marry you."

         Klaus froze starstruck at the words she was speaking, her answer truly baffling to the point where he was at loss for words. It took several moments to regain the ability to speak and when he did all he could do was pull her into his arms and kiss her passionately, only pulling back when Dakota laughed during their kiss. "You said yes."

        "Did you think i'd say no?"

        "Yes."

        Her hand reached up to caress his cheek, her palm being gently scratched by the stubble that littered itself across his jaw. "I couldn't imagine myself spending the rest of my life with anyone besides you."

         His blue eyes stared deeply into her brown ones, neither of their gazes wavering until he closed his eyes, his forehead resting comfortably on her shoulder, his face nuzzling itself into her neck and inhaling her scent deeply. "I'm so in love with you. I'd do anything for you, Dakota."

         "I know, Klaus. I love you too."

         Klaus stayed close by her all day, a bright glow radiating off them both, their smiles gleaming almost as brightly as the diamond ring that resting on Dakota's finger. But their smiles faltered when they saw Elijah walking past, his face downturned in a frown, his forehead creased with deep lines. "What's wrong 'lijah?"

         "Marcel Gerard had broken the rules of his exile and I had to plan the funeral for all of the people he and his few followers have killed."

         "What'd you do?" Klaus' face was flat as he watched his brothers movements.

         Elijah looked Klaus in the eye, his hands rested in his pocket. "I must be mad," He starts, his voice soft but it held the chaos and anger of thrashing waves. "—completely insane to believe that there is a part of you that will hold any redemption."

        "Do tell, Elijah. Please enlighten me on what I've done that has upset you, big brother."

        "Dakota and I have worked very hard to instill peace in this town, to protect it and the people inside of it—including the very life of your own child and I find it incredibly devious that you would still go behind my back and conspire with the wolves."

        There was a brief silence between the two before Klaus pointed a finger at his brother. "A family reunion counts as conspiring now? Excuse me, Elijah if I'm having a conversation sigh my true family instead of calling myself a name that isn't even my own."

        In anger, Elijah speeds forward, slamming his brother into a caged door, his back hitting so hard that Dakota took a step forward preparing herself for a fight she wasn't sure she'd win. "So, you meet your new family and make an alliance with them, ignoring your brother of a thousand years." Hurt was evident in Elijah's voice, his teeth clenching tightly against one another while his brown eyes lit ablaze with unspoken anger and betrayal.

        Klaus rolled his eyes, taking everything within his power not to take his brothers wrists and break them in their compromising position. "Stop being so dramatic. I'd thought you'd be happy that I desired to help them."

        "No, brother, I am not happy." Elijah pushed again, and this time Klaus wasn't so polite about the harsh jerking of his body. In retaliation, he pushed Elijah off him, his stance defensive while his brother fixed his suit. "I have forgiven you, stood by you. I have sacrificed my name in the foolish faith that you could be redeemed, but I won't anymore." Elijah looked at Klaus was blatant disgust and kept his distance, seeming closed off and untrusting towards him. "If there is something I want, I'll take it and nothing can stand in my way."

        Dakota's eyes were wide as Elijah exited, her eyes turning to Klaus once he was away. "This is very bad, isn't it."

        "Very."