25

Chapter 25: Human Protection Program

{K. M}

        "Does it hurt?" Klaus held onto Dakota's hand like it was a life source as he watched the woman perform the ultrasound on his girlfriends pregnant belly. The vampire blood he'd made her take healed her up nicely, only leaving an emotional scar on the brunette.

        "No," She responded, returning the gently hand squeeze. "—it's just cold." She'd been different since Davina had tortured Klaus and nearly killed her baby in her rage. Dakota was distance and cold, she didn't like company and her feelings towards the teen had grown sour to the point when she saw her, she pretended Davina didn't exist.

        A few quiet knocks sounded on the door of Dakota and Klaus' bedroom. "Come in." Brown hair peeked in, followed by the rest of the sixteen year old girl, her hands hidden behind her back. "Davina, I don't think—"

        "I just wanted to make sure the baby was okay. Dakota, I'm so sorry."

        She didn't respond, her hazel brown eyes remained locked on the black and white film of her child laying protected in her womb. "Is she okay?"

        The OBGYN nods, a bright smile on her kind face. She wasn't compelled but there wasn't a doubt in her mind that she would be by the end of the session. "Baby's perfect. She's growing quite fast, honestly."

        "Is that a bad thing?" Klaus rushed out,  concern immediately setting in. "Dakota's quite small, is there enough room for the baby to grow without hurting her?"

        "It won't hurt, but it won't be comfortable," After printing out a photocopy of the baby, the doctor wiped the clear jelly from Dakota's growing belly and packed her things. "I recommend baths with lukewarm water and Epsom salts to ease swelling and as little stress as possible."

        A few looks were send Davina's way, silently reminding her that she was the reason Dakota would basically be on bed rest but nobody said it verbally. The teen coughed in her hand, a fist full of dirt coming out, then more as she continued producing the dirt from her mouth.

       "What the hell?" Klaus muttered, not knowing what to do until the room started shaking, a glass falling off the counter.

       "Get her out," Dakota spoke, a hand held protectively over her belly. "Klaus, get her out of this room now."

       He listened without question, carrying the witch to her room down the hall a path of dirt behind them. "What the hell is going on with you?"

      Klaus wasn't surprised when he entered his living room to see Sophie Deveraux in his living room with Elijah, he wasn't thrilled either. "You again."

      "We have a problem." The home rattled again, a quake so strong it rippled all through the French Quarter.

      "Tell me about it. Davina's been flaunting that party trick all morning."

      Sophie ran ringed fingers through her medium length brown hair. "We're running out of time. I have to complete the Harvest now."

      Klaus chucked at the woman, taking a sip of the scotch to curve the edge he'd been on since Dakota was injured. She demanded solitude that he'd allowed but a plethora of vampires were perched outside her door keeping her safe—not to mention Rebekah was with her doing God knows what to calm her down. "Sounds like a personal problem."

       "I'm not kidding, Klaus. Davina's party trick won't be so fun when the magic of three dead witches tears her apart."

       "What do you mean?" Rebekah questioned from her spot in the doorway after leaving the pregnant woman to herself.

       "It happens in four stages," Sophie began worriedly. "Earth, it will rattle like the world was breaking apart. Next comes air. The winds will be so hard, houses could be uprooted from the ground. Then water, it'll rain so hard each drop will feel like bullets and if that isn't bad enough the last stage is fire. The whole French Quarter will burn."

       Three Mikaelson siblings exchanged glances with the other before silently nominating Elijah speak first. "Don't you need a Elder to complete the Harvest ritual?"

       "Yes," The witch nodded. "—which is why I dug up the bones of Celeste Dubois." Elijah shifted in his chair at the mention of his old lovers name, the woman Davina had been drawing for months. "Davina wasn't meant to harbor so much power, so with the help of Celeste, I'll be able to complete the Harvest, save the French Quarter and the lives of the witches that died in the ritual Davina was in."

       "How do we know you aren't lying?" Marcel had been so quiet, so silent they'd completely forgotten he was even in the room.

       Sophie let out a breath. "She's already showing the signs."

       "So fix her."

       "It's not a situation we can just patch up and wait out. But, if that's the approach you want to take, only you immortals will be around to argue about it."

       A loud wind howled from outside, slamming windows shut and growing louder and stronger before stopping. "The only way to put an end to this is if she's sacrificed?" A voice—Dakota's voice asked, her face was stone cold as her eyes bored into Sophie Deveraux.

       "Yes."

       "Then, I don't know what we're waiting for."

       Marcel stood tall, eyes burning. "You aren't hurting her."

       "You're right," Dakota agreed, voice monotone. "We're going to kill her instead."