16

Chapter 16: Got Me In Chains

{K. M}

"What happened?" Elijah and Klaus went to Roussau's in hope to find Sophie, when instead, they found the kitchen loitered with spilled goods and an unconscious Sabine.

Sabine took Elijah's hand, accepting the help to get herself off of the ground. "It was Agnes. Her men took Sophie."

"Where are they?" Klaus demands.

"Why should I tell you? The second you find out, you'll kill Agnes."

Klaus fists clenched by his sides. "If you don't tell me, then the mother of my child gets hurt and I'll kill more then just Agnes."

"I know she's a little crazy, but she's the last living Elder in the coven and that means a lot to us witches."

"You won't have any Elders if you don't tell me where she's keeping Sophie Deveraux."

Sabine touched the back of her head, trying to soothe the throbbing ache that resided there from her fall. "You can't kill her. She's the only one who can do important spells."

"Like the Harvest ritual?"

She looked taken back and her thin eyebrows scrunched together. "You know about that?"

Elijah's voice lowered to a deadly whisper, showing not a hint of remorse towards the frail witch that had almost gotten Dakota killed once because of her precognition. "You'd be surprised by the things that I know."

"Frankly, I don't care about your Elder or your coven. I do, however care about my girlfriend whose life is at risk the longer you hold out on telling me where Agnes took Sophie. So I'd advise you talk, now."

Sabine took a deep breath, wagering her options. Be killed, or tell them and have Agnes be killed. "They're at the caves in the cemetery. It's where all of the witches go to meet. She feels safest there."

By time they'd made it to the witch caves, Sophie was chained to the wall, a look of distress on her face. Elijah broke her restraints easily, allowing the chains to fall gracelessly to the dusty ground. "Agnes struck me with a needle," Sophie began without being talked too first. "Cursed objects like that were created a long time ago. We use them so we don't have to use actual magic and get busted by Marcel. The one she used was called the Needle of Sorrows."

"What does it do?" Klaus questioned, staying a great distance away from Sophie so he didn't follow through with his urge and kill her.

"It has one purpose. To kill a child in utero by raising her blood temperature."

Klaus flinched at the image that he pictured in his head. "She put a curse on you to boil my baby alive?"

       Sophie nodded slowly. "It's for miscarriage and it works every time."

       "How much time do we have to fix that?" Elijah asked, urgency and anger clear in his elegant tone.

       "By tonight's tide. Anything after that and still have done its job."

       "Where is she?" Klaus stepped forward, but stayed close to Elijah, a silent asking for him to make sure Klaus didn't make any rash decisions. "This Agnes, I believe it's time we've had a chat."

       Sophie shook her head in denial. "She could be anywhere, she's got plenty of places to run and wait you out."

       "That's exactly why we need to unlink you from Dakota. Too many complications, ways for her to get hurt." Sophie stared at Elijah in disbelief at the mere suggestion of breaking the bond. "You can't do that. If you unlink us, I loose my leverage over you."

       "If we don't, they die. We will no longer have business with you, Sophie. The two of us, simply aren't on the same side."

       The witch stood there, mouth gaping like a fish out of water, no words passing through. "Now," Klaus spoke. "—if you won't tell us where Agnes is, then I'll go find her myself." Sophie opened her hand, waving him off. "So be it."

       Klaus left, going to the one place he thought would be of help to him.

       The church.

       As he walked closer, he could hear their conversation. "—Marcel overstepped, and I will handle it."

       "I don't know about that," The hybrid buts in, walking calmly down the aisle, breaking the hand of the security guard who tried to push him away. "—Marcel is quite the warrior."

       "Who the hell are you?"

       "My names Klaus, and you lot are the faction--Pillars of the human community who maintain balance and fair rules for your cause. I should know, I created you when I built this town."

       "Exactly human." Pastor Kieran stressed, his gruff voice holding authority. "No vampires allowed—including Originals."

       Klaus laughed aloud, but he wasn't humored, he was on a race to save his family. "I don't want to join. I need to ask you a question, that you should know that answer to."

       Pastor Kieran rested his hands on his hips. "What?"

       "Where is Agnes staying? All I need is an address and I'll be out of your hair."

       "Why would we want to help you?"

       Klaus' voice grew deadly, not liking how the man was stalling him, avoiding answering the simple question. "Agnes is the answer to the question you've been asking ever since you ran from here. Agnes hexed Sean, your nephew, to murder those people. So tell me the address so I can find her."

       Pastor K considered it, his hands lifting up to run against his salt and pepper stubble. "We need time to talk it over."

       "I don't have time!"

       "Everyone else in this town may be cowering in fear because of you and your family, but we speak for the ordinary—the humans. So you're going to have to wait."

       "You have an hour."