7

Chapter 7: Deception

{D. K}

The room was soothing and quiet. Warm rays of sunshine peered through the large windows, pressing its warmth on Dakota's skin.

"Shouldn't you be taking it easy?" Elijah wondered aloud, watching quietly as Dakota moved all across the open room, peering under blankets that covered furniture. Multiple wooden structures were sent to the home, wrapped in dusty old blankets to keep the sun from dulling out the wood.

"I'm going to be having a baby, 'lijah. My mind is racing a mile a minute and this is the only thing I have to distract me, seeing as you've got me on lockdown."

Elijah stepped forward, using a his hand to brush dust from out of her hair. "You're the most important person in the family right now. You need a good home."

"I don't like being the center of attention. I like solitude and I like being able to handle myself."

"You don't need to. I will protect you and this baby with my life, you have my word."

Dakota sidestepped a crib, using a marker to place a short label as to what was hidden beneath so she wouldn't have to look under each blanket more than once. "You've broken your word before, Elijah."

"I apologized for that."

       She went still, her pink lips pursing together. "Yeah, you did. And part of me is happy you didn't kill Klaus, because if you had I wouldn't be getting almost everything I've ever wanted."

       "Almost?"

       "I don't want my child to grow up without their father." Dakota said, voice hushed.

       "Oh so sentimental, sweetheart." A husky voice, thick with boredom interrupted the brief silence. Klaus was leaning against the doorway, his dark, long sleeved shirt straining against his crossed arms.

       Dakota nearly melted in her spot when one of Klaus' blue eyes went hidden behind an eyelid when it dropped down for a wink. But she was angry at him, he was being selfish and acting like a child rather than a father. "Is it done?"

       The hybrid seemed surprised she said something to him in the first place, but he recovered quickly and answered her question. "As a matter of fact, yes. Your deal worked well." Klaus walked toward his brother, smacking a hand on his back gently. "Marcel was all too happy to accept my blood, even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now, is a coven of impudent witches."

       Elijah couldn't meet his siblings gaze. "I find them to be honorable."

       "I trust them, but they do have a hidden agenda," Dakota sat on a chair, it's cushion still velvety soft. "—Marcel clearly has something they need."

       "They don't want him dead," Klaus' plump red lips pressed tighter as his brother came closer, looking further into the situation that was unfolding before them. "There must be a reason why."

       The air around them was thick and tense as they spoke about the serious matters and Dakota got antsy, lifting from her seat to busy herself with moving furniture in the room the way she pleased. Elijah and Klaus didn't make any comment, allowing the dainty woman to do whatever she wanted to the room. 

       "In addition to the secret weapon he used to control the witches, Marcel has a small army of vampires standing behind him. If we worked together, we can destroy them from the inside."

       Klaus appeared to follow along with the plan, supporting it wholeheartedly, but Dakota knew by now not to place so much faith into one person. Once you set up a standard so high, it'll fall down eventually and crush you when they couldn't meet the criteria. "And what of Rebekah?"

       "She thinks your untrustworthy," Dakota speaks, having being the one to talk to the blonde over the phone, all but begging her to make the drive out and help. She busied herself with hanging up a throw blanket she found in a moving box. "Maybe she got tired of sleeping in a box you put her in every time after she did something you didn't approve of. But who knows maybe she'll decide that her backstabbing, egotistical older brother is worth saving."

      "You seem to have different assumptions."

      "You won't even accept the fact that your a father, obviously I have different views on you now than before Klaus."

      Klaus didn't skip a beat. In fact, he seemed perfectly content with switching the topic off of his failing relationship. He knew it was his fault, he just wanted this so badly that nothing—not even Dakota could change his mind. "I hope she stays far away, that little troublemaker Rebekah." He opened a glass of scotch and poured a small amount into a crystal glass. "—because my desire to reclaim this town, to steal from Marcel what he holds most dear. I have realized one massive exploit."

Something was off about Klaus' tone of voice, but Elijah brushed it off, busing his hands with setting up the piano that Dakota wanted placed there. "And what is that?"

"You." Elijah didn't have much time to do much else but shout out a quick yelp of pain as he felt the familiar stabbing pain of the dagger being punctured into his heart. "Forgive me, brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak." Grey covered Elijah's skin, up his neck, past his freshly shaven chin, on his perfectly angular nose. "Family makes you weak," Klaus held his brother in his arms as his body went limp, the white oak ash robbing Elijah of the control of his own body. "—and if I am going to win this war, I have to do it alone."