18

Chapter 18: Lions in the Coliseum

{K. M}

Loud cheers could be heard from miles away, leading back to Marcel and the gathering of vampires that stood in a crowd. A circle was made, leaving for two vampires to step up and duel. "Ladies, gentlemen, welcome to Fight Night." Marcel cheered from the balcony on his home that overlooked everything, his brown eyes skimming across every face in the crowd. Every face he knew, not personally but he kept tabs on the supernaturals that came to town. "The first rule of Fight Night is, the vampire left standing at the end of the night is one step closer to the inner circle and one of these—a daylight ring." He lifted a hand, showing off the elegant design of the lapis lazuli gem.

Everyone from below, men and women off all different ages looked at the ring greedily. Their excitement radiated off of them at the promising thought of receiving the chance to walk in the sunlight, and even more important, being on Marcel's team where you were guaranteed safety and more freedom. "If you can impress me with a little ultra-violence, you can feel the sun on your face.  All you've got to do is kick a little ass." The cheering from below started again, getting louder and louder with each passing word that Marcel spoke.

"Our first contenders—Felicia and Otto." A muscular woman with olive tones skinned stepped from the crowd, her dark brown hair pulled up in a loose ponytail. She was confident, and that showed by the grin on her face and the ample about of ab she was showing due to her only wearing a black sports bra and a matching pair of baggy black jeans. Her rival, Otto, was a large white man with bulging muscles and a bald head that shined with a sheen of sweat.

Otto started the fight, taking Felicia by surprise with a punch to the face. The two continued with the duel, punching, kicking, and they didn't stop until a neck was snapped. A large body of pure muscle fell to the ground, proving that Felicia had indeed won the round.

"Damn girl," Marcel praised her. "Not bad."

Felicia curtsied, her body glistening with victory sweat until someone came behind her, snapping her neck and efficiently silencing the party. "Good evening," Klaus greets, a sly smirk on his handsome features, while his eyes connected with Marcel. "I'd like a word."

Marcel glared down at the man who raised him, his brown eyes hardening at the sight of he very person who gave him everything to make him what he was. "What do you think you're doing?"

"It appears that we've interrupted a collection of filthy amateurs." Elijah walked past the power hungry vampires, a distinct look of disgust present on his pristine face that held equal attractiveness as his brother. "We've come for the girl."

"You mean the woman who said she was a vampire but turned out to be a pathetic little human?"

"Don't start with me on the topic of pathetic, Marcel. You believed her for this long, so clearly she is much more than that."

The so called King's fingers tightened against the iron railings, his muscles contracting from gripping it so hard. "You two are incredibly brave for coming to my home and making such accusations towards me without proper evidence."

"Seeing as you were the one to kidnap my girlfriend. You aren't really in the right to talk about hospitality."

Marcel tossed his head back in amusement, a taunting smile spreading across his face, showing a full set of straight pearly white teeth. "Dakota has served to be the perfect company. I'm honestly kind of jealous you swooped her up before I did."

"You know me," Klaus retorts. "—I find something I like and I don't stop until I have it. So, before this gets nasty, give her back."

"Truth me told my friend, I don't have Dakota. But if I knew that taking her would've riled you up this badly, maybe I should've." Marcel stopped joking once he realized how serious Klaus was, and he wasn't in the mood so spend more time cleaning up bodies of the vampires Klaus would surely kill if he didn't give his cooperation. "I'll admit, I dropped by the old plantation farm, where I used to be a slave, and I found out that's where you've been staying recently and I exchanged greetings with her, but she's a bit more drama than I care to handle."

Elijah and his brother passed glances at one another, filled with confusion and worry. "Like what?" The brunette pressed, worried that Marcel may've compelled her. She was a human and she hadn't been on vervain in fear that it would harm the baby that was part vampire.

Marcel paused a moment before answering the Originals. "Like her brother. He was there with her, and she didn't look too happy."

"Shawn!" Dakota yelled so loud her voice started to crack. Her throat was dry and each time she yelled it was becoming harder and harder for her to continue. She pounded against the trunk she was stuffed in. "Get me out of here you little bitch."

A loud smack sounded on the top of the trunk. He'd stopped the car minutes ago and she assumed that he just wanted to hear her scream, but after a moment she stopped yelling when she realized hat there was a limited amount of oxygen in the trunk and the more she used yelling the more claustrophobic she'd feel in the long run. "That's not a way to treat your little brother, Ko. Say please."

"Please stop being a little bitch and get me out of here."

Shawn shrugged from the outside, sighing as he opened the trunk and rolled his eyes all in the same motion. "Close enough." Dakota climbed out, subconsciously letting out a breath of air and stocking up on fresh oxygen and even welcoming the mosquitos that flew around her. "Now, what the hell were you thinking?"

"What was I thinking?" She cried out, shoving an accusatory finger at him. "You kidnapped me."

"Okay, yeah. We're working on some issues, but you took the cure."

Dakota's plucked brows creased together so hard her forehead had wrinkles. "What? No I didn't. I died and became human because of a deal I made with a witch. And it's actually proving to be the worst decision I've ever made in my life."

"How? You're free."

"I'm pregnant so I can't drink booze, I'm no longer a vampire so I can't kick your ass the way I want to right now. So explain to me, how is that free?"

Shawn stopped talking, he rested his hands on his hips looking around into the night sky and not seeing a single star in sight. "So you swear you didn't take the cure."

"I swear."

"Dammit, you just complicated everything."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, because this is definitely all my fault."

Sorry guys, I completely forgot about Theo and how he would've died after Kota did, so just play along with it okay. I apologize for my mistake, it was purely accidental. ☹️