45

Chapter 45: Nothing I Do Better Than Revenge

{K.M}

"How do we do this?" Klaus sat in achair belonging to Marcel as they sat in his home far away from the Quarter. Dakota sat on his lap, Klaus' strong arms wrapped around her waist, a thumb sneakily making its way under her shirt to rub against her skin that was now littered with light stretch marks, but Klaus liked how they felt.

"Smartly," Marcel responds. "The wolves have the number now and it isn't just wolves we're up against."

Dakota leaned forward, brows furrowed in concentration as she and Marcel played a friendly game of chess. "We don't have to worry about the witches right now, they've stayed out of the fight after we killed Genevieve and the Harvest girls."

"If were being realistic here, there are only twelve wolves that essentially must be killed." Klaus was sat slanted so he could see Marcel as he spoke, watching as the two played chess, both of them close to winning but Dakota was a step further, her queen perfectly aligned with Marcel's king. "Each one that wears a moonlight ring are top priority."

Marcel let out a hearty chuckle, slapping his hands against his jeans when Dakota knocked his piece over, ending the game in her victory. "Then go out and chop off every hand until you find one with a ring. You taught me that if you wanted something, you take it."

The hybrid's face went lax, blue eyes going hard with seriousness and a comforting hand ran over his own to keep him calm. "A year ago, I would've. Now, I have too much to lose to just be reckless and gave a vendetta against my family and I." He took a drink, his pointer finger tracing along the rim of his glass.

"You two are thinking about this all wrong," Dakota stood from his lap, turning to face the both of them. "The wolves, Guererra wolves in particular are hunters and they prey in packs."

"How do you know that?"

        "I have a friend who dug up some dirt for me. These wolves love to hunt and you said it yourself, Marcel, we've been recluses for months. While we haven't made a move, why haven't they taken initiative and hunted us? They have the numbers."

        Realization appeared on their face. "They don't have the one weapon that could protect them against an Original."

       Marcel grinned. "The stake. You have it?"

       "Nope," Klaus admits. "Went missing when we lost the baby, but now we know they don't have it."

       "So, who the hell does?"

       "Tonight, it doesn't matter," Blue eyes darkened with danger and mischief. "Because tonight, we're going on a wolf hunt."

      Dakota nodded, her hands interlocked with one another. "Now we have a plan, there's just one more thing we have to do that's a little harder."

      "What?"

      "We have to tell Elijah."

      "No, absolutely not," Elijah raised a hand in denial, the other rested in his suit pockets. "The stake disappeared, Klaus. It's dangerous."

      Klaus rolled his eyes. "Obviously, I know this brother and I would've be suggesting us we kill the wolves if I believed they had it."

      Elijah raised his hands up in the air, brows raised in astonishment. "You're willing to bet your life on that?"

      The younger Mikaelson brother sat, the harsh flashes of pain beginning as the moonlight rings started working their magic—siphoning his energy and strength. "Either way, those wolves are going to die." He stopped to regain his breath, his fists clenching as he tried to hold onto whatever strength he had left. "We're going to need help."

"Who are we targeting tonight?"

"Any wolf wearing a ring," Klaus' answer was instant and spoken without wavering.

Elijah nods, having spent his few months learning who had what since Francesca took over. "Four of the twelve rings are worn by the Guerra brothers. Another on Oliver, one on Francesca, and three more on her security detail. The rest are scattered amongst the rest of her lackeys."

Dakota was sat at the table, her feet crossed on the seat beside her. "In the book Damon sent, it says each ring can be deactivated from its power source if it's taken off, it can't suck away Klaus' energy unless someone has it on."

"Either way," Klaus started to get sluggish, his body resting back in his chair. "We have to get them, each ring we retrieve will get me my strength back."

Elijah nods at his brother, the pieces of the puzzle fitting together as a stable plan was being formed. His hand ran across his jaw, the stubble he allowed to grow making it seem sharper than usual. "At your disadvantage, whoever does have the stake will go to you first, so we all have to work together as a team if we want to live."

"I have one request," Dakota uncrossed her legs, leaning forward on the table as she pushed some of her brown hair from her face. "When we start this, leave Francesca to me. I want to be the one to see the look on her face when I kill her for being the reason I can't see my child."

Klaus smiled to himself, his stomach seeming to churn pleasantly as he remembered the Dakota he met in the beginning, the one he fell in love with. She was getting it back, her ruthlessness and the murderous look in her brown eyes made Klaus' fingers twitch in excitement. "I will make sure you have her head served on a silver platter."