27

Chapter 27: Strength in Numbers

{D. K}

       "I'm confused," Dakota stated thoughtfully at her plate of foods shifting the scrambled eggs and few slices of bacon around, she's lost her appetite long ago but kept eating for the baby. "If it didn't work, where'd all the magic go?"

       Rebekah shrugged, they were requested to participate in the meeting Klaus called but they'd got a little caught up. "I thought you hated Davina."

       "For what she did," Dakota corrected, swiftly placing the plate in the sink and started walking towards the front room where Klaus was. "I'm just curious. It was a lot of power to just disappear."

       Rebekah followed behind, walking a bit faster to catch up to her brothers lover and stopped when they both heard Klaus' boisterous voice throughout the room. "We all know the witch, Davina is no longer with us, regretfully so and with the loss we are left with the disadvantage as to what witch is practicing and where. Luckily for us, since the Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever." A series of handshakes and smiles were exchanged amongst the vampires. "Until then, we should keep them in their toes."

       Leaning over to the blonde, Dakota whispered and subtly pointed a finger. "Isn't that Thierry? I though he was punished for killing a vampire."

       "I convinced Klaus to let him out."

       "Why?"

       "He knows about French Quarter covens, so he'll be able to tell us why all that power just vanished."

       Dakota nodded in understanding. "What do you plan on doing once you know?"

       "Find them and make them an ally."

       The brunette fully faced Rebekah, the two still staying behind and leaning against the doorway. "What are you planning?"

       "My brother is a bully and while I know I can't kill him, I'd like to at least stand up to him."

       Moving out of the hybrids line of sight and hearing, Dakota crossed her arms over her chest, her forearms resting on her protruding belly. "That's not very smart. If you befriend the wrong person, you could give them the impression that they could take their revenge out on Klaus as well."

       "Serves him right."

       "He's trying," Rebekah sighed, resting her hands on her hip. "He wants to be a family and you complain of his disloyalty but you seem to be the only one rooting against him."

       With a scoff, Rebekah explained herself to the brunette. "This is what he does, Dakota. Klaus sedates you with privileges and a false sense of honesty and then he shows his true colors when the going gets tough."

       "I guess you both have it in common then."

       "Is this what we've come to?" Klaus scolds Marcel. "I run the Quarter on my own while you pout."

       Marcel sat on the couch nursing a large bottle of whiskey. "You wanted to be a king and you've got it covered."

       "I'm sorry Davina is gone, but this attitude you hold us unbecoming of you."

       "Guys, we have a problem," Diego interrupted, freeing Marcel of his scolding. "We went out to provoke the witches but we found these two like this, no stakes just dead."

        Two male vampires laid on the ground atop a salt drawn symbol, a crest carved into their foreheads. "I've seen his before."

        A series of eyes looked at Klaus, brows raised. "Where? That's some seriously bad mojo."

        "It's a witch and they're drawing their power from sacrificing. It's a very dangerous form of magic and whoever is copycatting the man who created this kind of witchcraft is in over their heads."

        Elijah walked in after Klaus demanded the room be cleared. "That's very dark magic. I surely hoped we'd never have to see that symbol again."

        "As I recall, it's the signature of the fool who once stood against us."

        "Alphonz Belletunde Delgallo," The elder Mikaelson recites the witches name with ease, walking around the salt drawn marking under the dead men. A vivid image of the dark-skinned man who favored white suits was painted behind his eyelids.

        The Mikaelsons had bad history with the man who called himself Papa Tunde, King of witches. Klaus was immediately deterred from the man when he boldly stated he wanted ownership of part of the city that Klaus had built. So, instead of setting the man in place right away, Klaus grew closer with him until he understood what his true intentions were—to take more land and more money until he owned the whole damn town.

        Tunde surrounded himself with two twins that bore his mark on their forehead and one night Klaus called a meeting the night Marcel returned home from war and killed the twins, stopping the witches direct link of magic. Without it, Klaus was able to kill the man, his fingers gouging into his eye sockets until he touched the squishy texture of his brain underneath his skull.

        A Mikaelson never endured disrespect and Tunde experienced that firsthand and if the witch was copying him they needed to be stopped immediately before history would have to be repeated.

        Klaus walked over to his followers standing up high so they all could see him. "Whoever has done this shall pay. We shall not stop until his head is rested on a pike. Who's going with me?" All of the vampires cowered back, none stepping forward to help. They were terrified of a witchcraft that promised dead without the aid of a stake. "Fine, I'll go by myself."