37

Chapter 37: Awaken Me

{D. K}

       In the last months of Dakota's pregnancy, she could feel her hormones at an all time high, her feet hurting, back aching and her motherly instincts appearing at a rate she wasn't sure was possible.

"We've run into a problem," Klaus announced the moment he walked in the door of their room, quickly locking it and pacing the room, his hands carding through his hair. "Elijah has hidden the grimrore."

Laying on her back, a pillow below her back and a icy-hot patch on her lower belly, Dakota did all she could to seem involved in the conversation. "How are we planning to get it back?" She managed to say through deep breaths and pauses while the baby kicked harshly. "He made it extremely clear he wasn't playing nice anymore and it's not like he'll tell me anything."

"I don't know what to do," Klaus panicked, so focused on his problem that he didn't. price the pain their baby was putting on her body. "I need to know where he's hiding that book, the witches need it in order to help the wolves take over."

Dakota lifted from the bed, her ringed hand holding her stomach while the other pulled off the icy hot that lost its effectiveness. "While I would love to say and plot with you, I've got a doctors appointment today to check on the baby. "

"I should go with you. "

"Don't," She denies, knowing he would be too overwhelmed to talk about the baby. "Find the grimrore. I'll call you so you know we're safe."

Dakota drove to the streets of New Orleans on her own, turning down one to meet with the OBG-YN that Klaus had compelled to watch over their baby multiple times during Dakota's pregnancy. Passing the ladies at the front desk, she walked right to the same room and laid on the bed sending a friendly smile to the blonde who checked on her baby. Bright blue eyes seeming distant while under compulsion, but she still had a bright smile on her face. "You only have a few more weeks left," She lifted Dakota's shirt and squirted some of the cold gel on her stomach, taking the ultrasound and looking at the machine. "She's very healthy, have you been taking the prenatal vitamins I gave you?"

Dakota's eyes were locked on the digital image of her baby, her voice distance while she watched it with admiration. "Everyday, twice a day."

"Have you and Klaus been thinking about names?"

"No," A few screenshots of the ultrasound were taken and printed and given to Dakota, a towel passed her way to wipe the gel off so she could pull her shirt back down. A knock sounded on he door, her body tensing while she stood. "Who's at the door? You were told not to tell anyone I was here, no interruptions."

The woman looked surprised, her blue eyes wide. "I told no one, Klaus said tell no one."

Keys jingled, the knob turning until the lock clicked, the door creaking open. A dark-skinned hand came through, a familiar face following behind it. "Dakota, you get more and more beautiful each time I see you."

"Save the flattery for someone who needs it, Marcel. What do you want?"

Last night, Elijah killed my friend and I knew that if I went to Klaus he'd make sure I was dead before I got a word past, so I went to the next best thing." He looked past at the woman behind Dakota, jerking his head and she scrambled out the room hastily.

"You still haven't answered my question," The brunette forced out, her hand pressed against her stomach to protect her bulging belly. "What do you want?"

"Don't look so defensive," He chuckled, his hand brushing over his bald head while he moved to sit on the plastic chairs beside the doors. He looked tired, the bags under his eyes so dark and the strong stench of alcohol that seeped through his pores told Dakota that he'd been drinking copious amounts of the liquid drug. "I have a rule about children. You know I would never hurt your kid."

She looked at him hard in the eye, not sure if she could trust him. Elijah had told her about the people he'd killed the night before and a sign of public violence meant he was willing to do just about anything to get what he wanted. "How do I know I can trust you?"

"I guess you'll just have to take my word for it." He concludes, shrugging his leather covered shoulders. "I came here to give you a proposition." Marcel dropped a large black duffle bag on the floor before her.

"What's that?"

He unzips it slightly, not enough to show what was in it, but enough to leave curiosity in Dakota. "Money mostly."

She let out a laugh, sitting down on the examining table. "Are you bribing me? Trying to get me out of town, Marcel. What do you gain from my absence?"

"I'd hope Klaus and Elijah would follow behind you, but I know them well enough to know they wouldn't just up and leave New Orleans." His jaw was clenched and it was clear that he wasn't playing anymore, he was serious and angry. "I'm trying to to give you an out for you and the baby to leave and be safe."

"Safe from what?"

His hand ran over his lips. "There will be a fight, Dakota, a bad one and I'd hate for you and your baby to get caught in the crossfire." Marcel looked down, his eyes catching on to the bright diamond rested on her finger and he let out a light chuckle. "He finally proposed, I see. He'd been holding that damn ring in his pocket for two months."

"You know I can't leave, Marcel. They're my family, we stay together for everything."

"Don't say I didn't warn you."