54

Chapter 54: Broken Beyond Repair

{D. K}

Dakota and Klaus walked along, him subconsciously stepping in front, protecting her from whatever was around the corner. Stepping into the abandoned shed, Klaus snapped a shovel and a half, giving the makeshift stake in his hand to her while he held the other.

Blood stained the wall, and a culprit was identified, Mikael standing there with Camille in his grasp. "Let her go," Klaus commands strongly.

"My pleasure, she was annoying."

Camille's body fell to the ground limp, her heartbeat was faint and she herself was weak from the blood loss but she wasn't dead yet, she still had time.

Jumping through the air, Nikalus landed atop the man who was never really his father, being quick to get up seeing as he had the stake and Tunde's blade, two weapons that the hybrid couldn't afford to have used on him.

The two struggled, Dakota taking the distraction as a way for her to get Cami and evacuate the fragile blonde from the fight. "You have to help him," She croaked, her neck matted with blood that was clotting and drying.

Dakota rested her against the wall, leaving behind her jacket as a way for her to retain heat and put pressure on the wounds she'd acclaimed and without another word she ran back inside. The fight hadn't lessened up, both men incredibly stubborn and headstrong as they went tumbling through the walls, but it didn't stop them.

Klaus was on top of Mikael yet again, clearly having gained the upper hand as he pushed the white oak stake in his direction, the aim being his heart. "I'm not as weak as you remember, huh?"

Changing tactics, Mikael threw Tunde's blade at Dakota, Klaus' one and only instinct being to protect her. Within a nanosecond, he stood before her breathing heavily, the blade before her face and that was clearly was the vampire wanted. Mikael stabbed the stake in Klaus' body, his loud guttural yell filling the stale air.

"No!" Dakota screamed, her anger boiling over with the way she watched her loves skin fade into the grey that slowly took his life away, but in a sudden she'd realized something.

"Why aren't you burning?" Mikael seethed, blood smeared all across his stubble ridden chin and neck. "If you were dead, you'd burn."

In the distance, Dakota could now hear the chanting, the complicated latin tongue insinuating the ongoing spell taking place in the next room over. Mikael stalking in the direction of the witch, bypassing the brunette without so much as a glance, a mistake on his part as she rushed to her fallen fiancé, using all of the strength she was granted through her vampirism and pulled it out with a deft tug.

Just then, the chanting ceased but was followed by the ear-piercing high pitched yell then silence. "What do you think you're doing little girl."

Holding the stake tight in her grip, Dakota stood strong her stance nothing but protective over her hybrids body. "I've killed you with this once and I can gladly do it again."

"You're love for that abomination will be the death of you."

"Better than fighting against everyone else because you're too bitter and broke to love."

Klaus awoke with a sharp intake of breath, his body now standing the grey skin absent. "It's over, Mikael."

"No, it isn't, you're weak now just like you were before except this time you hide behind women and children. I will kill you on my own, like a man." With that, he left with a gust of wind.

Breaking the tense silence, Dakota turned to glare at Klaus, her chocolate brown eyes boring into his beautiful blue ones with so many conflicting emotions all he could do was hold her in his arms and take in her scent. "You need a leash or a shock collar because I'm tired of you wandering off and getting yourself nearly killed."

"Thanks to you, I'm still alive."

"Stop making me save you." She retorted pulling back from the hug, but Klaus knew her words weren't true, she would be there standing beside him to the ends of time. "Seriously, if you die then a lot of people die."

Klaus opened his perfectly plump lips to respond to the woman he'd given his all to but instead his eyebrows furrowed. Looking all through the totaled room stood Marcel holding Camille, Davina, Kol but someone was missing. "Where is Elijah?"

"That's something else I've been meaning to talk to you about. He hasn't answered any of my calls since he and Oliver left to take care of Esther's wolves."

His fists clenched at his sides, knowing full well this his mother had everything to do with the sudden disappearance of his brother. "We will find him, I refuse to leave him as my mother toys with his mind."

"I agree, but you need to rest, we won't do Elijah any good if our tanks are all running on empty. Not to mention," Dakota looked over at Davina and Kol. "–why did you guys help us?"

Davina pursed her lips in the same bitchy way that made Dakota's blood boil. "It wasn't his day yet, but don't mistake this for forgiveness, Klaus will die."

Dakota watched the duo leaving, her eyes rolling in their own accord. "I really fucking hate witches."