67

Chapter 67: Claiming What's Mine

{K. M}

     Bright wisps of golden sunlight pushed past the cream colored curtains, it's warmth spreading across Dakota's cheeks. For a moment, she kept her eyes closed to snatch just a few more moments of sleep and comfort, but upon hearing her man and their daughters laugh in the space beside her, sleep seemed utterly insignificant.

      "We woke up Mommy," Klaus' baby voice was gentle and slightly higher pitched than his usual tone. She watched the two of them silently with a barely there smile on her face, childish jealously was slowly creeping up inside of her. Hope was beginning to grow into her features–or Klaus' features, rather. "Say, good morning."

       "Don't waste her first word on good morning. It'll be mommy, at least it better be. I carried you for nine months, little one. I dealt with no alcohol, endured the months heartburn and being a human and you have the audacity to be his twin. I deserve the first word."

        Klaus was smirking that smirk, the one only he could pull off. His right hand reached over to rest on Dakota's leg, Hope still sitting upright on his stomach, knees perched up to her back for support. "Let me make it up to you."

        "How do you plan on doing that?"

        "Marry me, today. Right in this very house."

        Not the least bit surprised in the man who was created for spontaneity, the giddy smile on his face and the way his hand found purchase in her own, thumb gently running over the diamond he put on her finger. 

        Before responding, Dakota just stared at him, a bright smile with teeth and all made just for him. She was more than ready to be bound to this man for the rest of eternity. "How will we explain her?"

         "She won't be attending this ceremony but when the city is safe for her, we will throw the extravagant wedding we always talk about and she can be our flower girl." Hope crooned as if she knew she was being spoken about, unintelligible sounds passing her lips before breaking out into a toothless smile that made Dakota's heart swell.

         "In that case, I'll call Bekah and have her pick up the dress."

          A brow raised on the hybrids face, blue eyes sparkling at the thought of seeing the gorgeous woman before him walk down the hair in all while—even though he'd long since ravaged any purity she had left.  "I didn't realize you'd already bought one."

        Dakota shrugged casually, fingers twisting in the soft hairs on Klaus' head. "Found it a few months ago on accident, I couldn't leave without it. I just knew it was the one."

        "I always knew it would be you, since—"

        Dakota cut him off, leaning over to kiss him gently, one where her fingers traced the stubbled line of his jaw. "Save your confessions of my perfection and irresistibility for the vows."

         Biting his plump bottom lip in amusement, Klaus let out a cocky chuckle. "My vows for you have been complete for quite sometime now but I should probably warn you now, any proclamations of your self-proclaimed "perfecfion" won't be present in them."

        Quickly swiping a pillow to pop him in his face with it, Dakota snorted at his smartass mouth. "What an unoriginal dick."

          "You're marrying it, so enjoy the ride, my love."

"Aren't you supposed to be getting ready?" Rebekah questioned the vampire, who'd walked into her room.

"I will after you tell me what's wrong." Dakota, ever so persistent plopped herself down on Rebekah's bed, one leg crossed over the other as she waited expectantly for the answers she required.

Reigning cluelessness, the vampire in a witches body raised a brow. "Nothing is wrong. Why would you think that?"

"There's blood on your shirt, you stink of Marcel and you're planning a wedding that you volunteered not to attend so you could watch over your niece."

Looking down at her shirt was a single spot of blood, quickly pulling it off and throwing it into a hamper to change, Bekah looked frazzled—a look that Dakota didn't like seeing. "This is your day, we shouldn't be talking about me."

"Exactly, this is my day and I'm asking you to tell me what's wrong. It'd be rude of you not to oblige a bride of her one wish."

"You and brother were made for each other, it's disgusting." Brushing the curly hair from her face, she turned to face her soon-to-be sister. "I was attacked today and Marcel rescued me."

"Attacked by whom? Why didn't you say anything?"

Adjusting the fresh shirt, Rebekah shrugged, trying to avoid eye contact with the woman before her. "Because they weren't attacking me, they're going after the body I'm inhabiting."

"Why?"

"Apparently the woman who owns this body, Eva Sinclair was stealing children to inhabit their power but that's not even the worst of it." Dakota leaned forward, silent and calculating of all the words being spoke to her. "When I was stuck in the containment for witches, I let Freya out. I didn't even know what I was doing."

Piecing the puzzle together, Dakota's senses went on overdrive. "If both firstborns of the Mikaelson bloodline are alive then that means that Dahlia isn't too far behind. This isn't good, Hope isn't safe."

"None of us are."

Reaching forward to take her hand in comfort, Dakota sent Rebekah a calming smile, a feature she'd acquired once becoming a mother. "Don't worry about it, we are a family and we will protect each other. We will protect you, Bekah."

"Always and forever?" It came out as a whimper, pathetic and full of fear for if something was to happen to Rebekah in this fragile body she was in, there was no telling if she could be saved.

"Always and forever."

Their moment was interrupted by the approaching sounds of shoes and a baby's laugh. "Daddy has to run an errand, will you be okay until I get back?"

"Depends. Are you planning on leaving me at the altar?"

Pressing a kiss to her forehead, Klaus handed over their child. "So my brother can attempt to take you as his own? Not a chance in hell."

Halfway out the door it finally registered to Dakota, he didn't tell her what errand it was that he had to run and with the mischievous glint in his eye, she had a feeling it wasn't something good. "What exactly is this errand?"

"I'm eliminating a threat."

Finn. He was going to kill Finn. "Come home to us."

"I always do."