50

Chapter 50: Branding The Bodies

{D.K}

"What do you mean she's gone, Gia? I was just with her half hour ago. I got her stupid snake and Elijah has the enchanted item, where could she be?"

Taken aback by her hostility, the vampire stepped back a few steps. "I don't know."

"Find out."

"How do I do that?"

Taking a deep breath and sending a quick flick of the finger to the snakes head for hissing at her, Dakota responded. "Lesson number two, compulsion. Ask around, compel them to answer and cover your tracks while you're at it."

While Dakota was walking away, Gia called out in distress. "I've never compelled anyone before, I don't know how."

"It's all in the eyes, you'll learn."

Almost two whole hours had passed, Elijah, Klaus and Dakota all together, the two men staring at her in disbelief that she'd left a fledgling to practice something as tricky as compulsion when they had very little time to waste. "What on earth were you thinking? Leaving all that responsibility on a useless specimen."

Checking her phone, she gave Elijah a bland look before speaking. "I was thinking that I'd get answers and I did, which is more than you can say for yourself. Marcel's witch is with Cassie's little friend. They're in the Quarter."

Klaus rolled his eyes at the information. "Perfect, our mother's a step ahead of us, as usual."

"Take it easy champ, I have a plan. Gia said there's a werewolf with Lenore, it's Oliver. I think that if I go over there I might be able to get her back." Swiping the necklace off the table, Dakota all but growled when Elijah stepped forward to block her. With the python still wrapped around her shoulders, even it hissed at the Original.

"I don't think-"

"Have I ever let you down before?"

He stopped, his body deflating at her question. "That's besides the point."

"Have I?"

Elijah was reluctant to answer, the whole group having known the answer. "No "

"Then trust me, I can do this. I'll be back soon." After departing Klaus with a kiss, the two watched her leave.

"How do you ever win any fights with her?"

Klaus laughed aloud, clapping his hand on his brothers shoulder. "I don't."

Dakota had found Lenore in the cemetery, her body chained to the rocks, her body bloodied by the harsh treatment they'd used on her. "I don't understand why I'm helping you," Oliver exclaimed, his hand raking through his unruly blonde locks that fell to his shoulders.

"Because you owe me," Dakota easily ripped the chains from the walls, using her strength to hold the frail witch up until she gained her balance.

"For what?"

"For being part of the reason why I can no longer hold my child."

Oliver went silent, his eyes trained on the back of the brunettes head, instant regret swelling up in his chest at the thought of being the reason of a dead child. "Fine, but what do I say to them? If you take her, they're going to know I let her go."

Pulling a face, Dakota hummed in agreement. "I could beat you up a bit and you can say her people came to save her, you didn't have a chance because there was too many of them."

"Not the face," He pleaded after a moment, bracing his buff body to be abused by the vampire. Taking the easy way out, Dakota simply broke his nose and left a large cut on his forehead before chaining his body to the wall. "I hope you know this is the only time I'm going to let you do this. An apology of sorts."

"Maybe I should've hit you harder then," She never did though, instead of wasting her time amusing Oliver, Dakota assisted the witch back to her shop upon request.

"Do you have the items I asked for?" Loraine spoke for the first time since her rescue. Dakota handed her the necklace and the python.

The brunette watched the older woman in caution, the sizable injury on her scalp enough to make her nervous. "Are you sure you're well enough to do this? We only have one shot and I don't want you passing out halfway through."

"I'll be fine, lets start."

A series of herbs were put into a pot. "How long will this take?"

"You want me to soul-brand the resurrected spirit of a thousand year old witch. It's best if I take my time and do it right." Lenore set up the items, the necklace sat beside the bowl while she held the snake in her hands, straightening it's body out. "Sorry about your kid, by the way. I can't imagine your pain."

Giving a nod of appreciation, no further words were exchanged between the two women.

Lenore started her chant, using a knife to cut the snake in half, her hand slipping inside of its body to take out its heart squeezing the organ into the bowl. "How does this work again?"

"After I finish the spell, everytime Esther switches into another body, a distinct mark will be on the back of their hand."

The necklace was dipped into the blood and herbs, a strong wind flowing into the room before Lenore froze, her hands gripping tightly to the table. "Are you alright?" But the witch didn't answer, she looked around the room like she didn't know where she was and it was then, Dakota noticed the mark that took place on the back of her hand. "Oh, shit."

"That's no way to speak to your mother-in-law."