Chapter 7: Too Late

BACK TO JESSICA'S P.O.V. BY THE WAY THIS IS DECEMBER 18  AND JESSICA IS 13. YES SHE IS A 13 YEAR OLD WITH A TRUCK, NOBODY IN THAT ISLAND REALLY CARES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. 

I slowly pushed the door open, every part of my body telling me not to. Why don't I ever listen? You'd think that by now I would've learned. My heart was pounding, there was so much sweat on me I looked like I just went swimming, and I was bloody. All three of those probably a good enough reason to leave and go get cleaned, to find help, and find a way to calm down. But I continued anyways. 

When I opened the door I wasn't expecting what I saw. Being in an old beat up warehouse you'd expect an old beat up lab, but that's not what it was. It was set up like how you would imagine a normal lab, white walls, ceilings, and floors, lots of white shelves with bottles stacked neatly on them, the whole room had a strong chemical smell to it. In the very center of the room was this white round table type of thing that stood about four feet high. I was right about the sound because on that table a baby pig was strapped down with needles and wires attached to it's body while it was squealing. I thought I was going to be sick. 

I turned my head away from the tortured animal. When I did that I noticed something in the room that I hadn't before, it made my heart start racing faster, which I thought was impossible for it to go any faster. There was a desk in the far right hand corner of the room with a man doing work. I expected there to be a person in here, but I just now considered what would happen if he spotted me. 

I slowly started to back up without letting my eyes leave the man at work. I was closer to the door than expected, so I hit it when I wasn't ready, making a thump sound. I hoped that the person hadn't heard me, but of course with my luck he had. His head jerked around at the speed of light, he looked around before his eyes met mind and he glared at me. 

Move, I told myself. What's wrong with you? Move, Jessica! Get out!  

That's the problem with me though. If I see something that just horrifies me then I can't move, my feet become concrete and I stiffen. I was afraid that my time was going to come this was. I wasn't ready to die. I didn't have time to think about that though because the doctor started to move. 

The doctor stood, his eyes never breaking it's hold on mine. He moved over to a desk with lots of switches, buttons, and lights. He smiled at me before flicking a red switch. 

"Hello, darling," he said. "What are you doing here?"

I refused to speak, afraid that I was only going to make matters worse. 

"No need to be afraid of me. I don't bite." Noticing that I was not planning on speaking, he started throwing more questions at me. "What's your name? Why are you here? Who sent you? What do you want?" Realizing that I wasn't going to answer, he began to threaten me. "ANSWER ME! I'm giving you one last chance before I shoot you!" With that he pulled a gun off of his desk and aimed it towards me forehead. 

I gulped and realizing that I didn't have much of a choice, answered. "M-m-y n-name i-is J-Jessica."

He smiled, but never lowered the gun. "Well, Jessica, why are you here?"

"I heard screeching and decided to follow the sound to see what it was."

"Oh right because that's always a great idea. Did you not see the sign on the door? No of course you saw it you just decided to be unwise an elected to ignore it. Who sent you, Jessica?"

"Nobody sent me."

He raised an eyebrow and I knew that he didn't believe me. "Oh really, nobody?"

"Nobody, I swear. I was just driving my truck to the store and heard a weird noise so I decided to see what it was, or if somebody needed help." 

"It looks like the person who needs help is you," he motioned towards my bloody body. 

"I fell."

"Course you did." He stared into my eyes then a huge, evil grin grew across his face. "You know, maybe I could use some help." 

I stared at him, every bone in my body had gone weak and now I was trembling. I turned towards the door, grabbed the handles, and started trying to shove through the door. No luck though. 

"Oh darling? That switch that you watched me flip earlier, yeah that locked the door. So sorry, but you'll be staying here for a while."

I banged my head on the door and left it there, fighting back tears.  I couldn't believe this. How stupid could I have been? 

"What do you need help with?" I grumbled still trying not to cry. 

I didn't even have to turn around to know that he was smiling. "Oh so you'll help?"I turned and stared into his dark brown eyes, giving the meanest possible look that I could make. He grinned, "Wonderful, truly, truly wonderful."

He walked over towards the pig and put a bullet right between it's eyes. The pig squealed and thrashed around for a while before finally going stiff. I didn't believe what I had just watched. How cruel could this man be? 

"Come here," he said pointing in front of him next towards the dead animal. I couldn't move, fear had over taken my body once again. "I SAID COME HERE!"Him screaming made me jump I decided to do what he told me to and slowly I made my way over next to him. 

"What do you want me to do?" I asked softly. 

He grinned, I hated him and that stupid grin of his. "Unlatch the pig."

"What?"

"You heard me, unlatch the pig!"

"I don't want to touch it," I whispered.

"I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU HAD TO TOUCH IT! I SAID TO UNLATCH IT! UNLATCH IT AND LEAVE IT ON THE TABLE, I CAN DEAL WITH THE REST!"

I went over to the table to examine the latches and how to undo them. It looked easy enough, all I had to do was unclip a tight chain then it looked as though the rest of the chain would kind of just fall of. So if I did that to all seven chains maybe I could be out before the hour was over. I knew that Neal had probably tried to contact me. 

I got onto the floor and began to undo one of the chains. They were tighter than I thought, but I got it off. About 20 minutes later I was finally on the seventh one. When I was almost finished with the last one I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I looked up and saw the doctor holding a needle, grinning. I knew that he had just put whatever was in that needle into me. 

The last thing I was before all went dark was the doctor undoing the last chain and lifting the pig up off the table top. Then all was black.