Chapter 32: Life, Scars, Apologies

Jessica's P.O.V. 

"Hey, Jess, what would you like for dinner?" Brooke asked after coming to our house after work.

"Um...grilled cheese and some soup?" I said quietly as I tried to clear my mind. 

"Sounds easy enough, you can go do what you want to do until dinner is ready."

"Can we, uh, talk after dinner? Alone?" I asked looking at my feet.

"Of course! I'm your sister, you can tell me anything, I'll love you no matter what!" 

That's because you haven't heard what I have to say yet, once I've said it you'll be wishing I'd leave the country and not return. I wished that these thoughts weren't true and that what Brooke said was, but I didn't believe Brooke was right. 

For dinner I got very little food, since my appetite seemed to vanish, and I ate extremely slowly. Bekah, who usually takes forever to get finished, was done and running off to go play before I finished my plate. 

"Jess? What's wrong?" Brooke watched me as I pecked at my food with concern written all over her face. 

"Can we talk outside?" I looked at where Bekah had run off to and Brooke took the hint. 

Brooke walked out to the back patio, with me trailing behind. "Now talk what's going on?" She asked after sitting in a lawn chair next to mine. 

"Have you heard about the media's new favorite person, Predator?" I asked my hands shaking.

"She was the media's favorite person. She's dead, or at least that's what I heard on the news. Why do you ask?"

"What did you think of her?" I couldn't even make eye contact with Brooke and I felt as if I was in a different universe. 

"I honestly feared for my family's life. I couldn't tell who she was targeting and why I was horrified. The man who ended her also ended a lot of chaos, he is a hero, at least in my eyes." 

I let out a screech. I threw my face into my hands and began to make ugly sobbing noises as my body shook violently. 

"Jessica?! What's wrong? What did I say?!" Brooke rushed over to me and placed her hand on my back as she begged for a response from me. 

"I can't do this!" I barely got the words out through the sobs. "I've failed! I'm a failure! I can't! I just can't!" 

"What can't you do? What have you failed?" Brooke shook me some trying to get me to look at her, I refused. "What does Predator have anything to do with this? Why does she mean so much to you-" Brooke stopped shaking me and removed her hand off my back. "Jessica are you?" She slowly asked. 

I glanced up at her which was enough to make Brooke go crazy, she had her answer.

"No! Not possible! I don't believe it!" Brooke panicked, only making me feel so much worse. "That's impossible! When? How? I can't see you becoming her, you're lying. Say you're lying!"

I stopped looking at Brooke and stared at the outside of the house. Such lovely walls. 

"Jessica?! JESSICA!? ANSWER ME! I DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE IT! TELL ME I AM WRONG! SAY TO ME THAT YOU'RE KIDDING! JESSICA!" Brooke yelled her voice rising with every word. 

I slowly shook my head. "No, no I'm not. It's all true." 

I finally got my tears together when I realized that it was pointless to cry over her. Someone who had lied to me. Who told me 'I'll love you no matter what, cause that's my job as your big sister.' She didn't mean that, if she did she wouldn't be reacting in this way. I was done crying over broken promises.