Chapter 6

The days went by at a slow pace as the days continued with the newly named Cougarkit, Boulderkit, Heatherkit, and Stormkit. Crystal and Lily didn't seem to pleased with their kits new names but was convinced with the help of Silverpaw and their mates that it was a game. Though Crystal was the one who was the most upset about it. She had decided to talk to the she cat alone about it the next Sunrise but was surprised when the queen lay in front of the Soft boulder seeming to wait for her to wake up.

Silverpaw slowly rose from her Soft boulder seeing the queen waiting for her. Instead of speaking the young queened beckoned for the apprentice to follow with her tail. She followed carefully not to wake Cougarkit or Boulderkit. She followed Crystal outside in to the morning air and laid down in front of the twoleg nest. She looked toward the sky guessing the dawn patrol would have left camp by now. Crystal breathed before speaking her voice becoming a cloud "Silverpaw.... about yesterday I...." She started but paused. Silverpaw continued for her guessing what this was about "It's ok I shouldn't have really said anything" She apologized. The queen quickly responded with "N-No its good that you did they seem to really like their names but..." then stopped again. She answered after a moment "Its hard" She whispered loud enough for Silverpaw to hear. Silverpaw tilted her head a bit in confusion. Crystal saw this and looked at the ground clawing at it a bit "Their my kits and I don't want to loose them" She confessed. A few heartbeats passed before she continued "I gave them those names myself along with Max" she said her voice dripping in despair. It took a second for something to click in Silverpaws head about the queens unbearable sadness. 'This isn't their first litter!' She realized. Silverpaw limped forward so she was beside the queen and licked her ear comfortingly. "This..... This isn't your first litter is it?" Silverpaw asked her. The queen shook her head sadly "No it isn't" she confirmed. Another couple of heartbeats passed before the she cat talked again "There was 2 girls and a tom" She explained. "Mini, Molly, and the tom Sam" She said looking up from the dirt. Silverpaw brushed her tail across the she cats flank urging her to continue "They were sweet kits... before they were taken by the nofurs!" She said her neck fur bristling. She could feel the she cats anger pulsing through the air around her. Silverpaw continued brushing her tail across the queens flank until she was calm again. The queen then looked at Silverpaw with almost pleading eyes "So now you get why I want my kits to keep their names". Silverpaws eyes looked sympathetically in hers "I wish their was something I could do. I really do! But clan cats reject kittypet life along with kittypet names, and ways" she explained. Both of them grew silent for a while before Silverpaw thought of something "But I will make sure that they don't forget where they came from, their actual names, or you both!" She swore to the queen who stayed silent. She finally answered after a few seconds of silence "Why did you think of the name Cougarkit and Boulderkit?" She asked. "Well Boulderkit for Spots for his strength I believe he will have and courage. As for Rex for his bravery and honesty I see in him" She said plainly as the queen went silent again. The wind passed by ruffling her fur as she shivered a bit 'It'll be leafbare soon!' She thought grimly. "Silverpaw.." Crystal said catching the other she cats attention. "Yes?" She asked looking over at the queen. "Promise me that they'll be ok with you. And that you'll watch over them with great care!" She said with pleading eyes. The Silver apprentice hesitated but said warmly "I promise they'll be ok in my care and I'll watch over them as if they were my own kin" she promised. It looked as though a huge weight had been lifted off the queens shoulder as she said to Silverpaw "Thank you, Silverpaw" before going back in to most likely feed the two kits. Silverpaw sighed as she sat down and curled her tail over her paws then looked up at the sky again. She knew she should of told the queen the same thing she told Max about not being able to promise there full safety but if she told that to the queen she would of never been able to let the kits go with Silverpaw. She sighed once more looking into the sky that was being slowly lit sky "Starclan give me strength" she muttered.